Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Joe Stein <jo...@apache.org> on 2014/10/28 01:50:35 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Kafka 0.8.2-beta Released

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the beta release for Apache Kafka 0.8.2.

The 0.8.2-beta release introduces many new features, improvements and fixes including:
 - A new Java producer for ease of implementation and enhanced performance.
 - Delete topic support.
 - Per topic configuration of preference for consistency over availability.
 - Scala 2.11 support and dropping support for Scala 2.8.
 - LZ4 Compression.

All of the changes in this release can be found: https://archive.apache.org/dist/kafka/0.8.2-beta/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Apache Kafka is high-throughput, publish-subscribe messaging system rethought of as a distributed commit log.

** Fast => A single Kafka broker can handle hundreds of megabytes of reads and
writes per second from thousands of clients.

** Scalable => Kafka is designed to allow a single cluster to serve as the central data backbone
for a large organization. It can be elastically and transparently expanded without downtime.
Data streams are partitioned and spread over a cluster of machines to allow data streams
larger than the capability of any single machine and to allow clusters of co-ordinated consumers.

** Durable => Messages are persisted on disk and replicated within the cluster to prevent
data loss. Each broker can handle terabytes of messages without performance impact.

** Distributed by Design => Kafka has a modern cluster-centric design that offers
strong durability and fault-tolerance guarantees.

You can download the release from: http://kafka.apache.org/downloads.html

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at http://kafka.apache.org/

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Kafka 0.8.2-beta Released

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
I heard back from INFRA already. Here is what they said.

"This issue is already addressed in a different JIRA ticket. We expect to
resolve this ongoing issue within a few weeks. In the meantime, please
expect delays on deploying changes to your web site."

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
Strange. I'm seeing it.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Koert,

The java consumer in 0.8.2 beta only has the api and hasn't been
implemented yet. The implementation will likely complete in 0.9.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Koert, these two classes belong to the 0.9 consumer api, which are not dev
ready yet. We only checked in the apis so people can review | comment on.

Guozhang

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
Yes there are some changes but will be checked-in prior to the full
release:

Joel

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.
Also, that doc refers to the 'new producer' as available in trunk and of
beta quality.

But from the announcement, it seems it's now more properly integrated in
the release?  Also, where can I read about the 'kafka-client' referred to
above?

Thanks,

Jason

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.