Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/11/13 09:49:48 UTC

moving forward with 2.0.8

All,

It's time to move forward with 2.0.8. I stopped to evaluate MNG-3259 but
I think this is an edge case and the fix has a greater chance of
breaking more stuff. I'd rather fix this early in 2.0.9 so there is
plenty of time for any issues to surface. I've placed a new build on
http://people.apache.org/~brianf/2.0.8

This new build fixes MNG-2277 in addition to the previous build. Please
try it out and report any new issues found. If no new showstoppers
occur, then I'll do the official build later this week / early next
week.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
With 2.0.7, I see:

[DEBUG] Test Classpath :
[DEBUG]   /home/dkulp/working/cxf/tools/javato/ws/target/classes
[DEBUG]   /home/dkulp/working/cxf/tools/javato/ws/target/test-classes

2.0.5, I get:
[DEBUG] Test Classpath :
[DEBUG]   /home/dkulp/working/cxf/tools/javato/ws/target/classes
[DEBUG]   /home/dkulp/working/cxf/tools/javato/ws/target/test-classes

With 2.0.8-SNAPSHOT, I get:
[DEBUG] Test Classpath :
[DEBUG]   /home/dkulp/working/cxf/tools/javato/ws/target/test-classes
[DEBUG]   /home/dkulp/working/cxf/tools/javato/ws/target/classes

Thus, it looks like 2.0.8 is correct from the discussions.   However, it
is a different behavior than previous which COULD cause test failures.
Just needs to be pointed out in the release notes.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

RE: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Brian E. Fox wrote:
> Yeah that makes sense. Which way is it now?

At least M1 and M205 have test-classes first. The generated Eclipse projects also. Don't know about other IDEs, but I guess you will get a lot of feedback if it works the other way round again ;-)

Exactly for that reason.

- Jörg

RE: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> ... as requested by MNG-3118

MNG-2365 is a duplicate and could be closed as well. I attached a unit test
to this issue that checks the test class path ordering.

I would also like to point out trivial issues (documentation) that would
require less than an hour to close them (one way or the other) for Maven
2.0.8 as they have attached patches:
- no-goal-help.patch at MNG-2166 (MNG-3276)
- guide-site.patch at MNG-3244

Benjamin Bentmann

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Max O Bowsher wrote:

> Brian E. Fox wrote:
>> I think classes should be first. (before test-classes)
>
> Presumably the rationale is to allow test-classes to contain resources
> which override same-named resources in the main classes dir, or something?

Test-classes should be first, as requested by MNG-3118 and its
relatives/duplicates.

Benjamin Bentmann

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

RE: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I think classes should be first. (before test-classes)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 15 November 2007, Brian E. Fox wrote:
> Ultimately I think the intent was that the order be slightly
> controllable via the order in the dependencies list. If that's still
> the case, then it seems ok to me.

I completely agree with that.   If it makes it PREDICTABLE and
CONTROLLABLE, that's a huge improvement.

I guess the question is what is the proper order for the classpath
entries that are NOT defined via dependencies.  Basically, the classes
and classes-test directories.     I think those two have reversed since
2.0.7.

In anycase, I'm completely OK with the change.   I've fixed my testcase
so it works properly either way now.

Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

RE: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Brian,

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Brian,

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
worked for my build

Raphaël

Re: moving forward with 2.0.8

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Brian E. Fox wrote:
> All,
>
> It's time to move forward with 2.0.8. I stopped to evaluate MNG-3259 but
> I think this is an edge case and the fix has a greater chance of
> breaking more stuff. I'd rather fix this early in 2.0.9 so there is
> plenty of time for any issues to surface. I've placed a new build on
> http://people.apache.org/~brianf/2.0.8

No problems encontered.
+1 for release.