Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2007/04/10 19:46:01 UTC

[Vote] please test release candidate and vote

We need people to test the release candidate on your projects,
especially on different operating systems and Java version.
Send a short reply to this thread that it works for you.
See method below.

Download the release candidate and supporting files:
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/forrest-08-rc1/

For Windows get *.zip md5sum aa7b786b3586fe7a6e131052c8e213f2
For UNIX get *.tar.gz md5sum a593dbb1c04ff20dfd318063997d65db
Get the *.asc and *.md5 that match your chosen download.

It was packed from SVN revision 527170.

Java 1.4 or later is required.

Testing and vote period concludes Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC [2].
Anyone can test and vote, not just PMC members.
However only the PMC votes are binding [3].

When voting, quote the md5sum to ensure that we are all
using the correct release candidate package. The votes
need to happen against the final release package.

PMC members need to satisfy themselves that the actual
final release package meets the ASF principles.

Please wait with voting until towards the end of the
week, as we may need to build a second release candidate
if there are any changes to the code or documentation [1].

During this week we do need to hear about successes
or failures. Please report your operating system
and Java versions and Jetty/Tomcat versions.

So we have approximately 6 days.

Here are some hints:

  * Verfiy the release, especially if you are a committer.
    Follow: http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi#verify
  * Ensure that the compressed archive will unpack properly.
  * Follow the README.txt and index.html
  * Set $FORREST_HOME and $PATH appropriately.
  * Try it with different Java versions.
  * Try it with different versions of Apache Tomcat or Jetty.
  * Many known issues are already recorded at our Jira.
  * Don't worry too much about minor bugs. We are looking
    for blockers, such as it will not run.
  * Please add other discovered issues to Jira.

* Make a fresh site ...
    cd my-new-dir
    forrest seed
    forrest run ... use the local jetty server.
    forrest ... build the whole site from the command-line.
    forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat.

* Try it on the Forrest core docs ...
    cd site-author
    forrest run
    forrest

* Forrest was already pre-built. Try building it again.
    cd main
    build clean
    build
    build test

* Try it on your own project, especially if you have
  a project sitemap and use some extra plugins.

* If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.

* Try building and installing the forrestbar.

------------------------------
[1] create final release candidate
Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=14&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[2] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=16&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=4&day=16&year=2007&hour=22

[3] "A lazy majority vote requires
3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes".
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#actions

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
People can now go back to doing their testing.

Thanks to early feedback, we solved specific cases
of plugin deployment problems.

Please try with your favourite other plugins.
The features listed at each plugin's site should
become available simply by adding the name to
the forrest.properties file.

http://localhost:8888/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/index.html
We are mainly interested in the top half of that page.

Doing 'forrest site' in $FORREST_HOME/site-author
exercises some capabilities of some plugins.

Hopefully your own sites will utilise other capabilities.

-David

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by Oshani Seneviratne <os...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I tried the 0.8 RC1 on RHEL4 and WinXP Pro with java versions
"1.5.0_11" and "1.4.2_14" respectively. Overall the results look good
(except for the things that are already reported so far). I will try
to play with the plugins tonight and report if I see any problems.

HTH,
Oshani

On Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 4 (2.6.9-5.ELsmp)
 java version "1.5.0_11"

* Make a fresh site ...
                          cd my-new-dir
SUCCESSFUL    forrest seed
SUCCESSFUL    forrest run ... use the local jetty server.
SUCCESSFUL    forrest ... build the whole site from the command-line.
SUCCESSFUL    forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat.
(tried with Apache Tomcat 6.0.10 Server - however the plugin link is
not working as mentioned earlier in this thread)

* Try it on the Forrest core docs ...
                          cd site-author
SUCCESSFUL    forrest run
SUCCESSFUL    forrest

* Forrest was already pre-built. Try building it again.
                          cd main
SUCCESSFUL    ./build.sh clean
SUCCESSFUL    ./build.sh
SUCCESSFUL    ./build test

DID NOT TEST
* Try it on your own project, especially if you have  a project
sitemap and use some extra plugins.

DID NOT TEST
* If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.

DID NOT TEST
* Try building and installing the forrestbar.

On Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
java version "1.4.2_14"

Almost the same as above :)

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> It seems that are not going to need a second
> release candidate. Hooray, well done everyone.
> The issues were confined to plugins deployment.
> and fixed now.

Cancel that thought. That issue did impact on the
use of 'forrest war' so a new release candidate is
being built.

New Vote thread is coming soon.

-David

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
It seems that are not going to need a second
release candidate. Hooray, well done everyone.
The issues were confined to plugins deployment.
and fixed now.

Still keep testing. If there is something major
then there is still time to create an RC2.

The vote period concludes Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC [2].

So over the next 2.5 days please vote.
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#voting

As discussed there, we definitely encourage all
developers to vote. We need your opinion.

It is just that the PMC members votes count when
considered for foundation business process reasons.

You don't need to have checked everything, just
be satisfied.

See more notes about voting below.

-David

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

results so far

> * Make a fresh site ...

pass

> * Try it on the Forrest core docs ...

pass

> * Forrest was already pre-built. Try building it again.

pass

> * Try it on your own project, especially if you have
>   a project sitemap and use some extra plugins.

pass

> * If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.

untested

> * Try building and installing the forrestbar.

pass

> * Forrest war

inconclusive - more testing required.

Ross

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> We need people to test the release candidate on your projects,
> especially on different operating systems and Java version.
> Send a short reply to this thread that it works for you.
> See method below.
>
> Download the release candidate and supporting files:

Moved the release candidate rc1 to a new URL.
An enthusiastic user asked other users to use it.
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/temp/forrest-08-rc1/
If you already have it then the files are the same.

-David

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Remember that we need to hear reports of success
or failure on different systems, especially Windows.

Give feedback early, and vote later in the week.

Even just tell that the most basic tests work.

Please.

-David

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Dispatcher and Gallery ...

Used it on a dispatcher-enabled site, which also uses
the Gallery plugin. All runs properly. Some minor
issues with recent dispatcher changes.

Forrestbot ...

We extensively use forrestbot for publishing that site.
The "build" and "deploy" phases were fine.

We only use the deploy.scp method. So other methods
were not tested.

The project's forrest/site-author does use the deploy.svn
method. However, we cannot test it because we have
source changes ready for the release.

-David

Re: testing forrestbar

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 08:36 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:

> > > What do you both mean. No-one has given any details.
> > > It works for me. Did you cd tools/forrestbar then
> > > build and install it?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > It seemed that the forrestbar was not update with the stand in svn, but
> > I just did a test again and they are the same.
>
> I am confused. What is meant by "stand"?

stand of development.

> > I used the wrong firefox instance when I did the test, sorry for the
> > noise.
>
> So are you saying that it does work properly?

Yes, as I can tell.

salu2

Re: testing forrestbar

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: testing forrestbar

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

testing forrestbar

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > * Try building and installing the forrestbar.
>
> Like Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> > The forrest bar of our site is not the latest one.
> which is a bummer because he did some nice work on it.

What do you both mean. No-one has given any details.
It works for me. Did you cd tools/forrestbar then
build and install it?

Remember that our website is not yet updated until
after the release, so do't get it from there.

-David

Re: need a second release candidate RC2

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > > Please wait till I give the go for a RC2.
> >
> > Yes, i am. This is why i am getting onto this
> > quickly - have not even second coffee yet :-)
>
> jeje, go have another coffee. ;)
>
> It should be fixed now (r528891), needed some time to find the
> corresponding issue (FOR-932).
>
> I will not have coffee now, but a good night beer ("Prost" to the
> release team).

Yeah, i will skip the coffee too and celebrate with
other stuff.

> > > yes, nearly fixed.
> >
> > Fantastic, i can test at my end.
>
> Please test, should work fine now.

Yes 'forrest war' works for me with a
dispatcher-related seed site.

I am doing some quick tests again on the
run and site modes, but i expect them to be
still okay.

> > > Well, I could sadly not made my testing earlier but I think the fix is
> > > worth being overdue since otherwise 0.8 would not really have war
> > > support.
> >
> > Yes very important thanks. The forrest.properties.xml stuff
> > is very new and not even advertised in our changes and
> > documentation, but definitely important.
>
> Should we at least drop a line in the changes? Like you said it is
> really nice and important, but did not get any attention. Sad.

I suggested that in the lead up to the release:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/23829
Nobody bothered to document it.

The trouble with that new properties system was that
long ago we decided to get the release out, and focus
on the new properties system later. Then the release
took so long to start to happen. Then people started
to use and improve it, but it never was documented.

I will make a mention in the changes and then re-produce
the release notes.

So i expect that i will have RC2 in about one hour.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 09:12 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> > > Great. I will wait a few hours, then creat an RC2.
> >
> > Please wait till I give the go for a RC2.
>
> Yes, i am. This is why i am getting onto this
> quickly - have not even second coffee yet :-)

jeje, go have another coffee. ;)

It should be fixed now (r528891), needed some time to find the
corresponding issue (FOR-932).

I will not have coffee now, but a good night beer ("Prost" to the
release team).

> > > Are you working on fixing that?
> >
> > yes, nearly fixed.
>
> Fantastic, i can test at my end.

Please test, should work fine now.

> > > We cannot wait much longer. The due date for doing an RC2
> > > has alreday passed.
> >
> > Well, I could sadly not made my testing earlier but I think the fix is
> > worth being overdue since otherwise 0.8 would not really have war
> > support.
>
> Yes very important thanks. The forrest.properties.xml stuff
> is very new and not even advertised in our changes and
> documentation, but definitely important.

Should we at least drop a line in the changes? Like you said it is
really nice and important, but did not get any attention. Sad.

> Not going to bother about the skin colour thing.

Agree.

salu2

Re: need a second release candidate RC2

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:

> > > The thread "RC1 fails when plugins provide Java" revealed the underlying
> > > reason. Using the trunk of forrest instead of RC1 I can create a war
> > > that contains the jars.
> >
> > Great. I will wait a few hours, then creat an RC2.
>
> Please wait till I give the go for a RC2.

Yes, i am. This is why i am getting onto this
quickly - have not even second coffee yet :-)
You probably need some too for such a late night.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: forrestbot testing

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > > * If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.
> >
> > ok, http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=528871
>
> Is this using trunk of SVN or the release candidate?
>
> We already know that trunk works, as our own zone
> is working okay.
>
> We have one report about forrestbot being okay
> on Mac OS X.

Those comments were not intended to mean that
you should test again.

-David

Re: forrestbot testing

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 08:41 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > > * If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.
> >
> > ok, http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=528871
>
> Is this using trunk of SVN or the release candidate?

Please see the link I provided above and you will find e.g.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lenya/site/community/translations.html?r1=528871&r2=528870&pathrev=528871&diff_format=h

- <meta name="Forrest-version" content="0.8-dev">
+ <meta name="Forrest-version" content="0.8">

Which should answer your question!

> We have one report about forrestbot being okay
> on Mac OS X.

I am still on OS (Ubuntu 6.10) as stated on the original thread. Makes
it two reports:
- Mac OS X
- Linux (Ubuntu 6.10)

salu2

forrestbot testing

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 03:46 +1000, David Crossley wrote:

My configuration :
============
OS (Ubuntu 6.10)
$ uname -a
Linux cartman 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Tue Mar 13 23:32:38 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-b03)

standalone servlet container: jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14

> * Make a fresh site ...

SKINS

>     cd my-new-dir
>     forrest seed

ok

>     forrest run ... use the local jetty server.

ok

Note: the last published bar still has the color mixed up. Back when I
create pelt I mixed it up by accident. The color should be the same as
the selected tab. I am not sure whether that is worth a new RC but
seeing it in the fresh seed of the skins strikes me again.

See http://localhost:8888/samples/sample.html the second level tab has
the above described background.

>     forrest ... build the whole site from the command-line.

ok

>     forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat.

ok, if you do not use any plugins that have java src code!

FAILS if you add e.g. ,org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule
to the project.required.plugins of the fresh seed and request
http://127.0.0.1:8080/my-project/ you will see something like the
following in  webapps/my-project/WEB-INF/logs/core.log:
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Cannot find class
org.apache.forrest.generation.ModuleGenerator for component at
file:/home/thorsten/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14/webapps/my-project/build/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule/output.xmap:22:62

This is because the war target does not:
- create jar from the required plugins
- copy them to WEB-INF/lib where they need to be placed in the war.

DISPATCHER

>     cd my-new-dir
>     forrest seed

ok

>     forrest run ... use the local jetty server.

ok

>     forrest ... build the whole site from the command-line.

ok

>     forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat.

FAILS

dispatcher provides new java components that cannot be found (see
above).

> * Try it on the Forrest core docs ...
>     cd site-author
>     forrest run

ok

>     forrest

ok

> * Forrest was already pre-built. Try building it again.
>     cd main
>     build clean

ok

>     build

ok

>     build test

ok (skin + dispatcher)

> * Try it on your own project, especially if you have
>   a project sitemap and use some extra plugins.

ok

> * If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.

ok, http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=528871

> * Try building and installing the forrestbar.

Like Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> The forrest bar of our site is not the latest one.
which is a bummer because he did some nice work on it.

Summary

-1 to RC1 (the war issue FOR-989 is a showstopper!)

The following changes (in order of importance) should be addressed in
RC2:
- war issue (FOR-989)
- forrestbar update
- pelt skin last published bar color issue.

P.S. I will have a look now on FOR-989.

salu2

Re: [Vote] please test release candidate and vote

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> We need people to test the release candidate on your projects,

Tests will fail until the glossary plugin has made it to the live server
on the next rsync. Should be within 4 hours of this mail.

Ross