Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/03 08:13:05 UTC

Re: svn or github [EXTERNAL]

A way to properly work with large files and GitHub is to use the Git Large
File Storage (LFS) plugin created by GitHub. The following is a session
using this feature:

$ ctakes-testbed.git(main)]$ find -size +50M
./rest-api/healthnlp-examples/ctakes-temporal-demo/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/fast/sno_rx_16ab/sno_rx_16ab.script
./rest-api/healthnlp-examples/ctakes-temporal-demo/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/fast/ctakessnorx/ctakessnorx.script
./rest-api/healthnlp-examples/ctakes-web-client/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/fast/sno_rx_16ab/sno_rx_16ab.script
./rest-api/healthnlp-examples/ctakes-web-client/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/fast/ctakessnorx/ctakessnorx.script
$ git lfs track ctakessnorx.script
$ git lfs track ctakessnorx.script
$ git lfs track
Listing tracked patterns
    ctakessnorx.script (.gitattributes)
    ctakessnorx.script (.gitattributes)
$ git add .gitattributes
$ git add .
$ git commit -m "....."
$ git push origin main

That enables the git version control system to track huge binary blobs. It
does so by creating a text-based reference to the blob, then tracking and
storing the blob in a location external to the git repository itself, in
this case hosted by GitHub.

This is just an idea.
--
Javi Roman

Twitter: @javiromanrh
GitHub: github.com/javiroman
Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info

Re: svn or github [EXTERNAL]

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Thanks Javi,

I am aware of github's lfs.  It is a good idea, but I am not sure how well it would work for a project with a community as large as ctakes.  Using the lfs tool seems like it is an inhibitor to easy adoption - which is not where we want to go.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about a migration to github.  The desire is to have a mirror of the svn repo on github.  The last I spoke with apache infra on this, the lfs was not a viable solution to the problem because it didn't fit into the mirroring technique.  The details on that were all behind a door that I never opened, so that is where my knowledge of the matter ends.

Thanks, and keep the ideas rolling,

Sean

Re: Healthcare Division for Apache

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boson,
at the moment there is not much individual interest in collaborating,
possibly because they are not very clear about the idea I have proposed. In
any case, we are discussing the creation of a space for it [1].

For my part I am going to create a test page that will serve as a
demonstration of what I would like to do, as soon as I have it I will share
it so that anyone can give their opinion. I'm hoping that by seeing the
structure of the page there will be more interest.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r75eb3930f4d730d586a94f3492cde2a9e6ac9df5e10d323c5f6edcac%40%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E
--
Javi Roman