Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> on 2013/12/09 17:37:35 UTC

Emails not Docs

Hi All,

I have been poking around various apache project lists on how brainstorming of various topics is done. I could not find an alternative example but using Mailing lists for all communications and decisions. Many projects are using JIRA for easy recording of a topic, mainly because they intern hit the mailing lists. Most of the projects also have a IRC channel to hash out any opinions on a topic and summarize it back to the ML thread.

I suggest we also follow the same protocol and once a conclusion is made, record it on the Wiki.

Here is my personal opinion on why we should avoid any document links and email itself:

* The whole point of communication is to engage the community. The elegance of free form writing and in-line comments is far out-weighed by grabbing community attention on a topic. The more the merrier and an increased chance of attention. Community engagement is already a tough battle many open source projects deal with and communication is the last thing we want to reduce.
* With so many sites mirroring and archiving apache mailing lists, making the content first class searchable is undeniable.
* All mailing list context is guaranteed to be persistent, external documents are outside the scope and cannot be guaranteed.

I can go on, but in short, I strongly vouch we avoid important architecture brainstormings in google docs and put the content in a JIRA and comment on it with every one’s opinions recorded.

Suresh

Re: Emails not Docs

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards
Lahiru

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab

Re: Emails not Docs

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1.

JIRA is a good option when you have alot of content to put (long emails to
architecture/dev lists tend to be "missed" in the long run) and have a
outline mail for it linking the JIRA for more details.

Re: Emails not Docs

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
+1, please.

Regards