Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "B. Duffee" <b....@cs.keele.ac.uk> on 2002/08/09 10:54:46 UTC

configuring tomcat for 100+ contexts

G'day all:

How do I tell tomcat that everything under a WEB-INF is a tomcat context?  (A
colleague said he saw it in the docs somewhere, but neither of us can find it
again and I've had no success in my archive and web searches)

I've got 3 courses of 100 students, some of which want to use JSP and servlets.
For the last installation (tomcat3), I added in a context for each interested
student in the servlet.xml.  I would _like_ to be able to say for every
directory that you find a WEB-INF, such as
	/var/www/htdocs/$course/$student/WEB-INF

Would
	<Context path="" docBase="/var/www/htdocs/*/*"
	 	appBase="/var/www/htdocs/" reloadable="true" debug="0"/>
make any sense?

System:  tomcat-4.0.3, Solaris 8, apache_1.3.22 is handling static content

Any hints most thoroughly welcome,
---
Boyd Duffee,		Keele University Computer Science (01782) 583437
Computing Officer
"...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow
migrating caribou." "Now I have this image in my mind of a fish embracing and
extending a caribou." -- Paul Tomblin and Christian Bauernfeind in the SDM

AW: configuring tomcat for 100+ contexts

Posted by "Power-Netz (Schwarz)" <sc...@power-netz.de>.
student in the servlet.xml.  I would _like_ to be able to say for every
> directory that you find a WEB-INF, such as
> 	/var/www/htdocs/$course/$student/WEB-INF
>
> Would
> 	<Context path="" docBase="/var/www/htdocs/*/*"
> 	 	appBase="/var/www/htdocs/" reloadable="true" debug="0"/>
> make any sense?

I suggest a small perl script that produces the apps-XXXXX.xml files in
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf .
You could create/delete your students and courses and just run it to get the
newest working config without
touching server.xml. It can clone the webapps directory of each
a.o.a.o.a.o....  :)
Just the restarting would take a while :-))

M.Schwarz