Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> on 2006/10/17 23:34:30 UTC

ASF license inclusion == ASF license grant?

Say we have a file in a JIRA issue that was imported from bugzilla and
hence has no "ASF license granted" indicator.

Example:

If that file does include the ASF license in it's text, is that sufficient?

Put another way, is any file already licensed under the ASF license
automatically fair game for inclusion by ASF projects?  Is there a
distinction between having a file under the ASF license and granting a
license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works?

-Yonik

Re: ASF license inclusion == ASF license grant?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 12:11 -0800, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Say we have a file in a JIRA issue that was imported from bugzilla and
> > hence has no "ASF license granted" indicator.
> >
> > Example:
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-365
> >
> > If that file does include the ASF license in it's text, is that sufficient?
> >
> > Put another way, is any file already licensed under the ASF license
> > automatically fair game for inclusion by ASF projects?  Is there a
> > distinction between having a file under the ASF license and granting a
> > license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works?
>
> Did this ever get answered Yonik?
>
> There's definitely a distinction between something being Apache
> licensed and something being CLA/granted to the ASF. Mostly (I think)
> that the former would need an entry in the NOTICE file describing the
> IP owner and that if we wanted to change that code to AL 3.0 someday,
> it would be harder.

IMO we need to start to moving to using meta-data to track origins of
documents

- robert

Re: ASF license inclusion == ASF license grant?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On 10/17/06, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Say we have a file in a JIRA issue that was imported from bugzilla and
> hence has no "ASF license granted" indicator.
>
> Example:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-365
>
> If that file does include the ASF license in it's text, is that sufficient?
>
> Put another way, is any file already licensed under the ASF license
> automatically fair game for inclusion by ASF projects?  Is there a
> distinction between having a file under the ASF license and granting a
> license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works?

Did this ever get answered Yonik?

There's definitely a distinction between something being Apache
licensed and something being CLA/granted to the ASF. Mostly (I think)
that the former would need an entry in the NOTICE file describing the
IP owner and that if we wanted to change that code to AL 3.0 someday,
it would be harder.

IANAL etc.

Hen