Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/02 10:03:04 UTC

pruning proposal

I wonder if we could spend a little time thinking about stuff we might
like to discard.

I think the geronimo itests modules are good candidates.  It would be
great to have integration tests, but I don't think what is there is a
good starting point.

I can't figure out what the xpom plugin is for, so I wonder if we need
it.

We have some contributed demo apps in jira and I wonder if we would
like to remove some of the existing demo apps and replace them with the
new ones.

I haven't dared look in sandbox :-)

thanks
david jencks

Re: pruning proposal

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 2, 2005, at 1:03 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I wonder if we could spend a little time thinking about stuff we
> might like to discard.
>
> I think the geronimo itests modules are good candidates.  It would
> be great to have integration tests, but I don't think what is there
> is a good starting point.

You and I are pretty much the makers of that mess... I'm fine seeing
it go.

> I can't figure out what the xpom plugin is for, so I wonder if we
> need it.

It's used by my crack at itests, so we won't need it if we kill them
It makes it so you can add dependencies to a pom whenever you like
(e.g. in maven.xml).  Nice for smushing an entire ear down to one
project.xml, for example, as you can build the war and ejb jar in
your maven.xml, add them as dependencies, then use the standard maven-
ear-plugin to build the ear.

> We have some contributed demo apps in jira and I wonder if we would
> like to remove some of the existing demo apps and replace them with
> the new ones.
>
> I haven't dared look in sandbox :-)

As far as clean up in general, I'd like to see us move the plugins
out somewhere to be released individually if we can.  Same for the
specs.

-David