Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthias Fischer <m....@abc-media.de> on 2001/11/22 17:10:01 UTC

Silence?

How do FOP/Cocoon use the system memory when transforming FO to PDF? We did
the following experiment which, in the end, led into trouble:

a) process file with one TIFF graphic (1MB approx.): successful under Win
NT, computed itself to death under Win 2000
b) process file with up to 40 times the same TIFF graphic (1MB approx.):
successful under Win NT
c) process file with 20 different TIFF graphics (1MB approx. each): computed
itself to death under Win NT.

Memory configurations:
1) Win NT machine: 128MB RAM, 256MB swap memory
2) Win 2000 machine: 256 MB RAM, 1GB swap memory

Any helpful ideas how to proceed?

Matthias

Dott. Matthias Fischer
abc.Mediaservice GmbH

Nebelhornstraße 8
86807 Buchloe
Tel. (08241) 9686-38
Fax  (08241) 9686-26
http://www.abc-media.de
e-mail: m.fischer@abc-media.de

ein Unternehmen der abc.Mediengruppe

RE: Silence? Sorry...

Posted by Matthias Fischer <m....@abc-media.de>.
No, I don't think OpenSource is like a service contract which
includes 1 hour response times. Sorry. I'm a bit nervous due to two weeks'
time I'm screwed-up doing nothing than troobleshooting after problems mainly
with graphics, although I do not want to generate a PDF of the Encyclopaedia
Britannica in printshop quality but of just a simple user's manual like
there are millions on this earth, to be printed out on an office printer...

We'll try to work your way.

Matthias

Re: Silence?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Silence? Do you think OpenSource is like a service contract which
includes 1 hour response times?

Anyway, try to increase the heap size available to the VM.

run "java -X" to see the available options

Example:
java -Xms64M -Xmx320M

I think your images are quite big. In the case they're compressed,
imagine that FOP will uncompress the image in memory pixel by pixel.
Then you understand why this uses so much memory. There may be a more
memory efficient way, but it's not available at the moment. So you may
have to try to reduce your images in size or resolution, if that's
feasible.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:10:01 +0100 Matthias Fischer wrote:
> How do FOP/Cocoon use the system memory when transforming FO to PDF? We did
> the following experiment which, in the end, led into trouble:
>
> a) process file with one TIFF graphic (1MB approx.): successful under Win
> NT, computed itself to death under Win 2000
> b) process file with up to 40 times the same TIFF graphic (1MB approx.):
> successful under Win NT
> c) process file with 20 different TIFF graphics (1MB approx. each): computed
> itself to death under Win NT.
>
> Memory configurations:
> 1) Win NT machine: 128MB RAM, 256MB swap memory
> 2) Win 2000 machine: 256 MB RAM, 1GB swap memory
>
> Any helpful ideas how to proceed?
>
> Matthias
>

> Dott. Matthias Fischer
> abc.Mediaservice GmbH
>
> Nebelhornstraße 8
> 86807 Buchloe
> Tel. (08241) 9686-38
> Fax  (08241) 9686-26
> http://www.abc-media.de
> e-mail: m.fischer@abc-media.de
>
> ein Unternehmen der abc.Mediengruppe

Freundliche Grüsse
OUTLINE AG
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch