Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID> on 2023/02/01 11:10:28 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Delete useless branches from Flink repository

I'm documenting the branches that shouldn't be deleted in the release
management docs [1]. While going through the remote branches I noticed the
remote branch blink [2] which was created by Kurt in 2019. It feels like
that one could be deleted as well.

Are there any objections in deleting the blink remote branch? @Leonard was
there any reason you skipped that one?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Release+Management
[2] https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/blink

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Thanks for clarification. I'm gonna leave the branch and document it
accordingly in [1].

Posted by Yun Tang <my...@live.com>.
I don't think we could use only flink-table-planner-blink related code to represent the whole blink branch. There still existed some code changes in flink-runtime, flink-streaming-java, flink-yarn and some other modules. However, some features are not included in the current flink main branch due to some historical reasons.
From my point of view, as part of the history of Flink community evolution, we don't need to drop the blink branch.

Best
Yun Tang

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.