Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2013/04/03 11:24:32 UTC

Install problem: request psycopg2 package

Hello to everyone,
I have a problem during the installation of 0.5.2 version. I'm trying to install the package on a Debian Wheezy test machine and I chose to install postgres as database; I followed the guide (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall) until the command:
python bloodhound_setup.py
After this command I receive this message at console:
E: Unable to locate package psycopg2
but if I write apt-get install psycopg2 I obtain the message:
python-psycopg2 is already the newest version.
Could someone help me to resolve this problem?

--Regards,
Marco Mangiante

Fata viam invenient (Virgilio)
I fati troveranno la via

RE: Install problem: request psycopg2 package

Posted by Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Anze,
thanks, it now works. Only to notice, for who write the page https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall that the command to start the server is (for me is this):
tracd --port=8000 /bloodhoud_install_directory/installer/bloodhound/environments/main
this in 0.5.2 version installation.

Thank you very much.

Marco

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Yes, unfortunately it has! Thanks Anze.

For the previous problem it might be worth noting that you can also pip
install psycopg2 in your virtualenv but this does end up building an
extension from source so it may not be suitable for all. I tend to use
Anze's suggested solution for the most part.

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hello, > > I've seen that previously there is another list for "users" but never seen

maybe installation questions can be directed to user@ list with also implementation questions like you suggest.   --Regards, Marco Mangiante

Re: Install problem: request psycopg2 package

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 8 April 2013 11:05, Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> > I've done some testing to reproduce the failures and then committed the
> > suggested fixes. Everything looks good to me now, but I'll wait until
> > morning to push out the release and call for a vote in case someone sees
> > something I might have missed.
> >
> > The biggest failure here is that I as the release manager I didn't test
> > that installation steps could be executed correctly. I had only tested
> the
> > ability to install a development instance. I'll add some steps to the
> > release process to cover a basic smoke test prior to release.
>
> I've seen that previously there is another list for "users" but never seen
> messages on it. Maybe we can transfer the comments about the released
> packages on that and so differenziate the development install from the
> "release" install.
> What do you think?
> Only one question: there is still a "user" list? :-)
>
> --Regards,
> Marco Mangiante

I think this still belongs on this list. The users@ list is more useful for
perspective) and generally ask implementation questions. At this point in
our growth we should encourage as many as possible to engage on dev@ though.

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joe Dreimann | *User Experience Designer* | WANdisco<http://www.wandisco.com/>

@jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>

RE: Install problem: request psycopg2 package

Posted by Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 04.04.2013 09:56, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com
> >wrote:

> installation
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall>to report
> these changes (bhsearch manual installation and "virtualenv

> >> The wiki page is already updated to mention the manual install of search
> >> for 0.5.2 and I will look at improving the psycopg installation
> discussion
> >> in a bit. There is also now https://issues.apache.org/**
> >> bloodhound/ticket/493 <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/493>for
> the problem with search being required.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>     Gary
> >>
> > It sounds like I should put together a 0.5.3 release this weekend. I'm
> > assuming that it will need to be voted on, the same as any other release.
>
> You assume correctly. But don't release from trunk, just merge the
> relevant fixes onto the 0.5.x branch and release from there. This is a
> bugfix release, not a feature release.

I've done some testing to reproduce the failures and then committed the
suggested fixes. Everything looks good to me now, but I'll wait until
morning to push out the release and call for a vote in case someone sees
something I might have missed.

The biggest failure here is that I as the release manager I didn't test
that installation steps could be executed correctly. I had only tested the
ability to install a development instance. I'll add some steps to the
release process to cover a basic smoke test prior to release.

- Ryan

Re: Install problem: request psycopg2 package

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 04.04.2013 09:56, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>
>> On 03/04/13 12:42, Marco Mangiante wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>  Any way, sate is inconsistent now in installation procedure - bhsearch

>>> in my opinion if it is possible is better a new release: the installation
>>> guide is now not updated for the 0.5.2 . If not possible, maybe we can
>>> modify the page https://issues.apache.org/**bloodhound/wiki/**
>>> BloodhoundInstall<https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall>to report these changes (bhsearch manual installation and "virtualenv
>>> --system-site-packages bloodhound" if you install with apt).
>>>

>>> Marco
>>>

>> The wiki page is already updated to mention the manual install of search
>> for 0.5.2 and I will look at improving the psycopg installation discussion
>> in a bit. There is also now https://issues.apache.org/**
>> bloodhound/ticket/493 <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/493>for the problem with search being required.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Gary
>>
> It sounds like I should put together a 0.5.3 release this weekend. I'm
> assuming that it will need to be voted on, the same as any other release.

You assume correctly. But don't release from trunk, just merge the
relevant fixes onto the 0.5.x branch and release from there. This is a
bugfix release, not a feature release.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: Install problem: request psycopg2 package

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.
Actually bhsearch should not be mentioned in requirements.txt and
bloodhound_setup.py since it was still in beta when 0.5.2 was
released.
As far as I can see history of  bloodhound_setup.py:
{{{
        pages.append(pkg_resources.resource_filename('bhsearch',
                                                 'default-pages'))

}}}
came in during merging from trunk during preparation of 0.5.1 release.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Anze Staric <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Mangiante <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,