Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by "Luiz Fernando B. Ribeiro" <li...@athome.pro.br> on 2001/09/17 22:21:42 UTC

Compile Embperl statically

Hi all,

  I need to install an Embperl application on a shared host that doesn't
  has mod_perl and will not install it. I've installed Embperl
  using the CGI enviroment before but this server has a custom linux
  installed and I think the only way is to compile embperl statically.

  I compiled Embperl on my machine but when I upload and run a test it
  complains:

  error while loading shared libraries ...
  undefined symbol: Perl_get_hv

Thanks,

Luiz Fernando B. Ribeiro
Engenho Soluções para a Internet
engenho@athome.pro.br

Re: Compile Embperl statically

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

>   I need to install an Embperl application on a shared host that doesn't
>   has mod_perl and will not install it. I've installed Embperl
>   using the CGI enviroment before but this server has a custom linux
>   installed and I think the only way is to compile embperl statically.
>
>   I compiled Embperl on my machine but when I upload and run a test it
>   complains:
>
>   error while loading shared libraries ...
>   undefined symbol: Perl_get_hv

Maybe you have a different Perl version, than your ISP. Your Perl has to be
compiled the same way as the Perl of your ISP. Look at

perl -V

to see all the Perl configuration settings.

Gerald

Re: Compile Embperl statically

Posted by Angus Lees <gu...@switchonline.com.au>.
On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 05:21:42PM -0300, Luiz Fernando B. Ribeiro wrote:
>   I compiled Embperl on my machine but when I upload and run a test it
>   complains:
>
>   error while loading shared libraries ...
>   undefined symbol: Perl_get_hv

you've linked against libperl.so on your box. the server doesn't have
libperl.so (or has a different version to you).

best would be to link against libperl.a instead. how/where you find
that depends on your distribution and how perl was compiled.

on a linux box, "ldd /usr/bin/perl" will tell you what shared
libraries an executable will use when run.

an ugly, inefficient hack would be to compile everything statically
linked into your own embperl executable, try (untested):

  perl Makefile.PL LINKTYPE=static MAP_TARGET=embperl
  make embperl
  make inst_perl  # maybe

then change your scripts to "#!/path/embperl". see the relevant
section in the MakeMaker::ExtUtils documentation for other options.

--
 - Gus