Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by veresh <ve...@india.hp.com> on 2003/08/08 11:13:37 UTC

Q !

Team ,

I want to ask why everyone wants to recreate the wheel ...
Why one more J2EE container ....when there are plenty in the market ...
Instead of developing a new one ... Why don't we contribute to a
existing one and make it more better ...may be Jboss ....what are we
going to get out of this ....

Regards
Veresh

Re: Q !

Posted by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.org>.
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:43:37PM +0530, veresh wrote:
> Team ,
>
> I want to ask why everyone wants to recreate the wheel ...
> Why one more J2EE container ....when there are plenty in the market ...
> Instead of developing a new one ... Why don't we contribute to a
> existing one and make it more better ...may be Jboss ....what are we
> going to get out of this ....

hey are you a JBoss guy? Everyone is free to implement what it wants ...
If somebody want to code JBoss is OK! But what about diversification?

Only one or two main OS implementations of J2EE specs is not oK

It could happen, that JBoss will be much better that Geronimo
(but i dont think so)! I think the Apache brand dont guarantee
100% success! Every software project must fight for the success
(Apache or not)!

Chris

RE: Q !

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Why one more J2EE container ....when there are plenty in the market ...

Name one certified J2EE open source container?  Next, name one that HP can
extend, private label, and sell with proprietary features.

> Why don't we contribute to a existing one and make it more better

That is what's happening.  100s of people from many projects, each of whom
has a piece of the puzzle, are coming together with existing code and new
code, and making it better.  And the result will be available for anyone to
use.

	--- Noel

RE: Q !

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

> I want to ask why everyone wants to recreate the wheel ...
> Why one more J2EE container ....when there are plenty in the market ...
> Instead of developing a new one ... Why don't we contribute to a
> existing one and make it more better ...may be Jboss ....what are we
> going to get out of this ....

A different product, a different licence, different project management, in
other words choice.

I know that everyone else always thinks that one of anything is enough in
IT, but I disagree.
I predict that the time will come when we regret not having greater choice
in the desktop operating system market for reasons which strech far beyond
technical competence.

;-)

d.