Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Mike Hallan <mk...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2022/08/01 18:00:52 UTC

Re: NB 14, 15 Platform Applications and Java 8 compatibility

 Thanks very much Neil & Michael for the clarification and the helpful options to consider. I now plan to bundle a JDK with the application and set myapp.conf jdkhome param to refer to it. Eventually I'll look into jlink to trim down the JDK although I'm a bit concerned about missing something since there are a lot of application modules, many obfuscated, plus all the jars that are part of the netbeans platform itself. I've seen some docs and demos on simpler java applications but none on a NB Platform Ant application. Hopefully it'll be basically a case of jdeps with a recursive flag to scan all jars. If you happen to know of any references that would be helpful for understanding jlink in the context of a NB Platform Ant application then that would be much appreciated.

    On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 02:07:38 PM GMT+3, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

 On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 at 11:53, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bundling a custom runtime (jlink) with the application might be also a consideration.
>
> There is also ... jpackage etc which might help there.

And of course, https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/tree/master/nbpackage

jpackage is problematic for platform applications, which is why
nbpackage was written.

Best wishes,

Neil