Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com> on 2009/07/07 21:31:29 UTC

Optional rules, where from?

I think as a packager I will need to pre-package the rules, because I
will get too many complaints about the "run sa-update first"
requirement.  Due to security requirements in our package build system,
it may not run sa-update during package build-time in order to grab
rules.  I will need to include a rules tarball.

Should there be an "official" rules tarball?
Or is there an official way to grab the latest rules from svn?

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Re: Optional rules, where from?

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:00, Mark Martinec<Ma...@ijs.si> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 11:29:24 Justin Mason wrote:
>> There will be a rules tarball alongside the main "code" tarball.  See
>> what's on http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/ for 3.3.0-alpha1;
>> there's one there.
>>
>> That can be installed using "sa-update --install /tmp/709395.tar.gz".
>>
>> Does that work?
>
> Btw, seems like the gpg key used to sign it (265FA05B) is not
> the one the sa-update prints the URL for:
>

> error: GPG validation failed!
> The update downloaded successfully, but it was not signed with a trusted GPG
> key.  Instead, it was signed with the following keys:
>
>    265FA05B
>
> Perhaps you need to import the channel's GPG key?  For example:
>
>    wget http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/GPG.KEY
>    sa-update --import GPG.KEY

That's true -- it's just an example.  in this case it's a different key used.

However in this case we _should_ be using the main rules-signing key,
not the distro-signing key, so that sa-update doesn't need special
flags.  my mistake. could you open a bug?

--j.

Re: Optional rules, where from?

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On Wednesday 08 July 2009 11:29:24 Justin Mason wrote:
> There will be a rules tarball alongside the main "code" tarball.  See
> what's on http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/ for 3.3.0-alpha1;
> there's one there.
>
> That can be installed using "sa-update --install /tmp/709395.tar.gz".
>
> Does that work?

Btw, seems like the gpg key used to sign it (265FA05B) is not
the one the sa-update prints the URL for:

error: GPG validation failed!
The update downloaded successfully, but it was not signed with a trusted GPG
key.  Instead, it was signed with the following keys:

    265FA05B

Perhaps you need to import the channel's GPG key?  For example:

    wget http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/GPG.KEY
    sa-update --import GPG.KEY

Mark

Re: Optional rules, where from?

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@pccc.com>.
Warren,

My suggestion would be parameters be added to sa-update that:

A) download the rules, and not install them, ignoring the check for what
current rules are installed

B) install updates from a tar file that DOES check for the current rules

The goal being that someone like Warren could do something like

sa-update --download-only

and

sa-update --rules-tar=/tmp/709395.tar.gz

This could also be used for people who want to maintain boxes and distribute
tar balls in a different manner.

Regards,
KAM