Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hiroshi Ito <ha...@email.msn.com> on 2002/05/02 17:10:22 UTC

A Question

Hello Tomcat,

I am a beginner-user of Tomcat and have a question.

I am developing an embedded data-measurement system. This system is running
under LinuxOS and equipped with many scientific measurement apparatus, such as
the Temperature measurement, Frequency/Spectrum  measurement inside the optical
fiber, etc. Each of these measurements is defined as 'Spawn-able/deletable' process
on the Linux.

I would like to use Tomcat for the web-based remote-control of the system, as a
Java-Servlet application. i.e  I would like start/stop a Linux process from a remote
PC's browser and collect data on Real-Time.

             Browser----->Tomcat ----->"GateServlet" ---->Spawn a process on Linux.

Is it possible to execute a Linux Shell's Script-file via "GateServlet"? If so, please
let me know "how to do it".
Or, does it need to "get-out" of  Tomcat, and we have to rely on some Inter-Process
communication between Tomcat(as a Linux process) and the other Linux processes?

I will really appreciate any of you answer& suggestion.

Hiroshi Ito

hamlet_ito-00@email.msn.com
(301)922-0358