Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Jason Guild <ja...@alaska.gov> on 2016/01/05 18:53:39 UTC

[FLEXJS] generating js output from swc without source code

Will it be possible for flexjs to process ABC from a SWC and generate js
without the source code?
I seem to remember there might have been some discussion of this from a
year or two ago now.

I am asking because I'm wondering about using FlexJS to recompile some
applications which use the ESRI ArcGIS for Flex API.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: [FLEXJS] generating js output from swc without source code

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/5/16, 9:53 AM, "Jason Guild" <ja...@alaska.gov> wrote:

>Will it be possible for flexjs to process ABC from a SWC and generate js
>without the source code?

Possible?  Well maybe, but that's essentially the same problem as
disassembly, so I have no plans to work on such a thing right now.  Source
code has more information in it.  But someone else is welcome to try it.

Also, consider that a SWC like ESRI ArcGIS probably has some dependencies
on Flash APIs which we are not targeting either at this time.  The basic
idea behind FlexJS is to implement higher-level APIs on both platforms.
If you look in the current release, we have a prototype of that using
GoogleMaps in the MapSearch example.

So, for FlexJS, the advice would be to look at the APIs for the current
ESRI ArcGIS swc and compare it to the ESRI JS implementations, then create
a wrapper library if needed to hide the differences between the two APIs
and write your code against that wrapper API.  Or wrap just the JS version
of ESRI to faithfully implement the ESRI Flash APIs.

HTH,
-Alex