Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2003/06/02 02:31:36 UTC

svnservectl ?

Greg, any plans to bang out an 'svnservectl' script?  You know,
something like 'apachectl'.  That'd be really useful for daemon-ized
svnserve processes.

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 22:31, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Greg, any plans to bang out an 'svnservectl' script?  You know,
> something like 'apachectl'.  That'd be really useful for daemon-ized
> svnserve processes.

This sort of ties into issue 1143 (configuration file for svnserve), in
that they both improve svnserve from the administrator's viewpoint.

It sounds like a good bite-sized task for someone else; feel free to
file an issue about it.  It's not likely to be high on my list for a
bit, but I might get to it eventually.

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 15:09, Greg Stein wrote:
> Actually, you probably *do* need to deal with Nagle. Apache disables the
> darned thing on its sockets. See the commentary in ap_sock_disable_nagle()
> in httpd-2.0/server/mpm_common.c.

I believe the Nagle algorithm only runs afoul of pipelined
implementations where data may be going in both directions at once.
Although I've referred to "pipelining" ra_svn recently, I may have been
using the term inaccurately; I've only been talking about switching the
direction of data transmission less often, resulting in fewer round-trip
delays.  In all cases, either the client is writing and the server is
doing blocking reads, or the server is writing and the client is doing
blocking reads.  The blocking reads should flush out any unsent partial
packets.

(If I'm wrong and we do need to disable the Nagle algorith, it's only
one line of code.)

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 01:37:06PM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > But I just had to poke at you a *little* bit :-). I'm waiting for the SASL
> > integration, threaded operation, etc to get into svnserve. Then we'll rerun
> > those line counts you did a while back ;-)
>
> All right, all right, let's not turn this into the battle of the RA
> layers, please :-).

Heh. I must not have put in enough smileys... :-)

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> But I just had to poke at you a *little* bit :-). I'm waiting for the SASL
> integration, threaded operation, etc to get into svnserve. Then we'll rerun
> those line counts you did a while back ;-)

All right, all right, let's not turn this into the battle of the RA
layers, please :-).

   "Mommy, do you love brother?"

   "Yes, dear."

   "And you love me?"

   "Yes, dear."

   "But who do you love *more*?"

   "I love both of you the same, dear."

   "Brother says you love him more."

   "He's only saying that because I posted bail, dear.  I'd do it for
    you, too."

-Karl

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 11:58:29AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 03:08, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Heh. Threaded server, a control script, etc etc. What's next? TCP_CORK?
> > Nagle algorithm? Logging? Configuration systems?
>
> I will remind you that TCP_CORK is only useful if you're about to call
> sendfile(), which we never do in either mod_dav_svn or in svnserve.  The
> Nagle algorithm is a kernel thing we don't have to pay attention to.
> The other things you mention are unlikely to get svnserve to a tenth the
> bulk of Apache.
>
> So, as cheap shots go, this one isn't very good. :)

LOL

Actually, you probably *do* need to deal with Nagle. Apache disables the
darned thing on its sockets. See the commentary in ap_sock_disable_nagle()
in httpd-2.0/server/mpm_common.c.

But I just had to poke at you a *little* bit :-). I'm waiting for the SASL
integration, threaded operation, etc to get into svnserve. Then we'll rerun
those line counts you did a while back ;-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Re: svnservectl ?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 09:31:36PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Greg, any plans to bang out an 'svnservectl' script?  You know,
> something like 'apachectl'.  That'd be really useful for daemon-ized
> svnserve processes.

Heh. Threaded server, a control script, etc etc. What's next? TCP_CORK?
Nagle algorithm? Logging? Configuration systems?

I guess using Apache doesn't look all that bad any more...

:-)

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/