Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Jones, Dean" <dj...@refco.com> on 2000/09/27 00:49:13 UTC

0.5 and nightly compatibility ???

Bit by a silent failure today,  where the signature of perform() was changed
in Action recently,  namely,  the ActionServlet parameter ( first one ) was
removed.  In an attempt at compatibility,  there is a default implementation
of the new signature that returns null.  The old signature of the perform()
method of ActionBase will no longer override the default implementation, and
null will always be returned.  Forwarded to empty space.  I have only
recently
subscribed to this list,  and the archives seems to be down.  Are the
nightly
changes covered in this list ???

Dean S Jones

Re: 0.5 and nightly compatibility ???

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Jones, Dean" wrote:

> Bit by a silent failure today,  where the signature of perform() was
> changed
> in Action recently,  namely,  the ActionServlet parameter ( first one
> ) was
> removed.  In an attempt at compatibility,  there is a default
> implementation
> of the new signature that returns null.  The old signature of the
> perform()
> method of ActionBase will no longer override the default
> implementation, and
> null will always be returned.  Forwarded to empty space.  I have only
> recently
> subscribed to this list,  and the archives seems to be down.  Are the
> nightly
> changes covered in this list ???

What actually happens is that any CVS commit that is done is echoed to
the STRUTS-DEV list, which serves as a record of what was changed (and
the comments included with the commit usually tell why the change was
made).

Most of the CVS commits you see will be to the 1.0 code base (the main
CVS branch) as we prepare for the 1.0 release.  If you see a message
that says commit "tag: STRUTS_PRE_1_0", that is to the 0.5 milestone
branch.  Maintenance releases are possible on this branch if there are
any horrendous problems, but new features are being added to the 1.0
code.

If you want a stable platform to build apps on, I would suggest sticking
with the 0.5 milestone release.  There are going to be quite a few more
things changing in the 1.0 code, which is reflected in the nightly
builds.

> Dean S Jones

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat