Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/29 20:43:10 UTC

Crediting patches, bug reporters, etc.

Would it be too much additional overhead if we all agreed to track
patch authors, reviewers, bug authors, etc., in Subversion memo's in a
semi-structured way?

I'm thinking of what the Subversion project does, mainly using 4
possible fields in the check in memo:

Patch by:
Suggested by:
Found by:
Review by:

(You use whichever are appropriate.  Not every check-in will have all four).

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#crediting

The nice thing about this minimal amount of structure is it allows
easy extraction of contributors via a simple script, e.g.,:

http://www.red-bean.com/svnproject/contribulyzer/

As you may know, our current informal approach tracks committers, but
does not explicitly track other contributors.

-Rob

Re: Crediting patches, bug reporters, etc.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Would it be too much additional overhead if we all agreed to track
> patch authors, reviewers, bug authors, etc., in Subversion memo's in a
> semi-structured way?
>
> I'm thinking of what the Subversion project does, mainly using 4
> possible fields in the check in memo:
>
> Patch by:
> Suggested by:
> Found by:
> Review by:
>
> (You use whichever are appropriate.  Not every check-in will have all
> four).
>

> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#crediting

a nice idea...

> The nice thing about this minimal amount of structure is it allows
> easy extraction of contributors via a simple script, e.g.,:
>
> http://www.red-bean.com/svnproject/contribulyzer/

well who knew? this is very nifty!

> As you may know, our current informal approach tracks committers, but
> does not explicitly track other contributors.
>
> -Rob

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain

Re: Crediting patches, bug reporters, etc.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Rob, *

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 02:43:10PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> Would it be too much additional overhead if we all agreed to track
> patch authors, reviewers, bug authors, etc., in Subversion memo's in a
> semi-structured way?
>
> I'm thinking of what the Subversion project does, mainly using 4
> possible fields in the check in memo:
>
> Patch by:
> Suggested by:
> Found by:
> Review by:

ups I should have read this earlier, I already committed some patches
with "Original author:"

> (You use whichever are appropriate.  Not every check-in will have all four).
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#crediting
>
> The nice thing about this minimal amount of structure is it allows
> easy extraction of contributors via a simple script, e.g.,:
>
> http://www.red-bean.com/svnproject/contribulyzer/
>
> As you may know, our current informal approach tracks committers, but
> does not explicitly track other contributors.
>
> -Rob

+1

git has a nice configuration setting:

commit.template

Specify a file to use as the template for new commit messages. "~/" is
expanded to the value of $HOME and "~user/" to the specified user’s home
directory.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.7.10.1/git-config.html#_variables

May be subversion has something similar. Some templates could be uploaded
to incubator/ooo/devtools/

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Crediting patches, bug reporters, etc.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/29/12 8:43 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Would it be too much additional overhead if we all agreed to track
> patch authors, reviewers, bug authors, etc., in Subversion memo's in a
> semi-structured way?
>
> I'm thinking of what the Subversion project does, mainly using 4
> possible fields in the check in memo:
>
> Patch by:
> Suggested by:
> Found by:
> Review by:
>
> (You use whichever are appropriate.  Not every check-in will have all four).
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#crediting
>
> The nice thing about this minimal amount of structure is it allows
> easy extraction of contributors via a simple script, e.g.,:
>
> http://www.red-bean.com/svnproject/contribulyzer/
>
> As you may know, our current informal approach tracks committers, but
> does not explicitly track other contributors.

+1, and we should document it somewhere how exactly we want do it...

Juergen

Re: Crediting patches, bug reporters, etc.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 29.05.2012 20:43, Rob Weir wrote:
> Would it be too much additional overhead if we all agreed to track
> patch authors, reviewers, bug authors, etc., in Subversion memo's in a
> semi-structured way?
>
> I'm thinking of what the Subversion project does, mainly using 4
> possible fields in the check in memo:
>
> Patch by:
> Suggested by:
> Found by:
> Review by:
>
> (You use whichever are appropriate.  Not every check-in will have all four).
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#crediting
>
> The nice thing about this minimal amount of structure is it allows
> easy extraction of contributors via a simple script, e.g.,:
>
> http://www.red-bean.com/svnproject/contribulyzer/
>
> As you may know, our current informal approach tracks committers, but
> does not explicitly track other contributors.

+1 from my side.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Crediting patches, bug reporters, etc.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Yue Helen wrote on Wed, May 30, 2012 at 15:02:25 +0800:
> Good suggestion to me! Others members could comment what else fields are
> needed.

Tested by:

We've used it a few times; I'm not sure the script looks for it.

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
Good suggestion to me! Others members could comment what else fields are
needed.

Related topic is, we should set up such guidelines and put it to our wiki,
eg. coding guidelines, unit test report format, defect report format...some
we may already have...

Helen