Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/02 00:36:36 UTC

[site] Include latest release version / date for components

Hi,

I can remember that a while ago there was the suggestion to include the
latest release version + release date for each commons component on the
main page.

The idea was really appealing to me, and I did an update of the
commons-site to include this information.

The result can be seen here:

http://people.apache.org/~tn/commons/site/

The updated project can be found here:

https://github.com/netomi/commons-site

What did I do?

 - create a script conf/parse-latest-release.py that parses the doap
   file for each component at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/
 - the script generates a properties file containing the parsed information
 - use the properties-maven-plugin to load the properties during the
maven build
 - move the index.xml to index.xml.vm to enable velocity filtering
   and include for each component the respective properties

The solution is quite simple, and the properties file can be manually
edited if necessary.

So WDYT?

btw. transaction is still listed as proper component, although already
moved to dormant in svn.

Thomas

Re: [site] Include latest release version / date for components

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/02/2013 12:36 AM, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can remember that a while ago there was the suggestion to include the
> latest release version + release date for each commons component on the
> main page.
>
> The idea was really appealing to me, and I did an update of the
> commons-site to include this information.
>
> The result can be seen here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~tn/commons/site/
>
> The updated project can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/netomi/commons-site
>
> What did I do?
>
>  - create a script conf/parse-latest-release.py that parses the doap
>    file for each component at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/
>  - the script generates a properties file containing the parsed information
>  - use the properties-maven-plugin to load the properties during the
> maven build
>  - move the index.xml to index.xml.vm to enable velocity filtering
>    and include for each component the respective properties
>
> The solution is quite simple, and the properties file can be manually
> edited if necessary.
>
> So WDYT?
>
> btw. transaction is still listed as proper component, although already
> moved to dormant in svn.

any objection to update the site with this information and fix the doap
files of the components to contain the latest / correct information wrt
releases?

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/02/2013 11:04 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 2 November 2013 08:44, Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I remember reading a release-howto that explained that the latest
>>> release shall be on top. Afaict, bsf is the only one not applying this
>>> rule, but I can update the script.
>>
>> sorry I misread your comment, there are several where its in a different
>> order. What I find also interesting is that there are at least 2
>> different ways how a release is specified in the doap files.
>>
>> The result being that the releases are not always displayed here:
>>
>> http://projects.apache.org/indexes/pmc.html#Apache%20Commons
>>
>> We should correct all the files imho.
>
> That assumes there is a "correct" layout.!
>
> Of course it would be possible to decide on a convention for Commons
> regardless of any canonical form.

There is one from the root namespace of the doap file:

http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#

The valid structure is as follows:

Project
  release
    Version
      revision
      created

If the doap file is in this format it is correctly parsed at
http://projects.apache.org/indexes/pmc.html#Apache%20Commons

otherwise the release information is not present.

btw. I did update the script, it now searches for the latest version.

Thomas

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 November 2013 08:29, Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/02/2013 01:17 AM, sebb wrote:

>>> Looks useful.

>>> The DOAP files aren't always accurate; might be worth considering also
>>> using the files under
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/
>>
>> Also, it looks like the script assumes that the entries are in reverse
>> data order.
>> That is not necessarily the case (e.g. Betwixt, BSF, Codec, Configuration etc.).
>>
>> And some components have multiple concurrent releases (BSF, JEXL)
>> though that is probably not important here.
>
> I remember reading a release-howto that explained that the latest
> release shall be on top. Afaict, bsf is the only one not applying this
> rule, but I can update the script.
>
> The reason I parse the doap file is that it also contains the
> release-date, which may not be easily available/parseble from other
> resources, e.g. pom or release directory.

Yes, I noticed that later - of course all the SVN files have a fairly
recent date as that was when we converted to svnpubsub.

> The positive side-effect of
> this is also that we know see quickly where the doap file is
> out-of-date, e.g. lang claims that the last release was 3.0.

It might be useful to extend the script to take note of the release
versions from SVN and report any discrepancies in the DOAPs.

> The script is also just a quick way to generate the properties file, but
> this can be manually edited and committed, as the script is not called
> during the maven site generation build.

Good point.

It should probably stay that way.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/02/2013 03:11 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> Hi Thomas!
>
>> The result can be seen here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~tn/commons/site/
>>
>> The updated project can be found here:
>>
>> https://github.com/netomi/commons-site
>

> I liked it! +1 :o)
>
> I think being able to see the latest version and its release date
> will be very useful for users and for developers of commons.
>
> Another thing I would like, but I'm not sure if that's doable or a good
> idea, is to have a list of known projects using the libraries. Like
> somewhere saying that Jenkins is using Jelly, Hadoop is using Math,
> CLI, Compress, HttpClient, etc, and so it goes.

There is http://mvnrepository.com, which also shows which project uses a
specific artifact, but this of course only works for software which is
available via maven itself.

Thomas

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
Hi Thomas!