Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/12 11:52:32 UTC

brooklyn-ui: daily build?

Hi all,

TL;DR: we should reconfigure the `brooklyn-ui` build (and probably
others) to be triggered daily and/or when `brooklyn-server` builds.
_*
Problem*_
Our brooklyn-ui build is configured to only run when the repo changes
[1]. However, its parent pom is `org.apache.brooklyn:brooklyn-parent`,
which is in `brooklyn-server` repo.

A change was made to the `snakeyaml.version` property in
brooklyn-parent. However, it took a couple of weeks before the next
(unrelated) change to the `brooklyn-ui` repo was merged [2], so we were
left with a stale reference. This caused problems for downstream
projects that build/test against snapshot.

_*Solution*_
Looking at brooklyn-library-master-docker [3], it is also configured to
run daily. I propose we do the same for `brooklyn-ui`, and for all our
other repos.
_*
More Solution*_
We could also trigger `brooklyn-ui` and the other repos when the
upstream repo (i.e. `brooklyn-server`) is successfully built. Or is that
too much load on the apache infrastructure for minor benefit?

Thoughts?

If no-one objects or has a better idea, I'll reconfigure each build to
also run daily.

Aled

[1]
https://builds.apache.org/view/B/view/Brooklyn/job/brooklyn-ui-master-docker/configure
[2] https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-ui/commits
[3]
https://builds.apache.org/view/B/view/Brooklyn/job/brooklyn-library-master-docker/configure

Re: brooklyn-ui: daily build?

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@gmail.com>.
Daily sounds like a good compromise position

+1