Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz> on 2010/06/23 16:38:14 UTC

Re: Gogo commands module (Was: Re: svn commit: r952918 - in /felix/trunk: gogo/commands/ gogo/commands/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/gogo/commands/ gogo/commands/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/gogo/commands/basic/ gogo/commands/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/gogo/commands/convert)

As the author of the RFC 147 and original author of the gogo code I concur with Richard and the work we did is very much aligned with the next version of the RFC which will be discussed in Ottawa. The original RFC has very strong focus on allowing existing objects (instances!) to very cheaply provide commands to a shell so the command providers have local context and the methods provide the type information. I always felt personally that a class per command was unnecessary complicated, wasteful, and often requiring statics to find contexts.

That said, I do understand that if someones current command model is very much based on a command per class than providing a compatibility bundle sounds like a good idea, it should not be that hard to build this on top of Gogo, I specifically made sure that the Equinox model could quite easily be supported without too much overhead. In the vein of OSGi, the best solution seems to be that it is just done in another bundle, as OSGi was intended to be. Keeping the core as simple as possible is always nice in the long run ...

Obviously Gogo is independent of the upcoming RFC/spec but as the author I've no intentions to go beyond the basic model described in the current RFC.

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens