Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by ruffnex <ru...@mac.com> on 2004/08/12 13:49:11 UTC

Mac Resource Forks - What is the status? Workarounds?

Hi,

With XCode 1.5 supporting Subversion, I imagine a lot more Mac users
are going to be asking this question...

What is the status of handling files with resource forks on Mac OS X?

Are there any temporary solutions?

Thanks & Regards,
Simon

Re: Mac Resource Forks - What is the status? Workarounds?

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Aug 12, 2004, at 12:45 PM, ruffnex wrote:

> The same problem exists for CVS, but Subversion is supposed to be
> better than CVS :-)  Resource forks are still here, and while they
> exist, it means any SCM is still going to feel like a 'second citizen'
> on the Mac.

My point was just that it might be worthwhile to investigate solutions
that were developed for CVS and see how well they can be translated
into the Subversion context -- or made better by the Subversion
context.  Since it's not a new problem, bringing known history and
details to the table might help.  Your full note with the detail about
Rez and ditto is more likely to generate help from Subversion experts
who can help with specifics about Subversion but who don't use XCode
and thus would have been less likely to help with your original query.
I get the feeling that there is not a large MacOS X contingent on this
list (and some of us are concerned primarily with
Unix-like-systems-portable solutions; all my development work needs to
be AIX, Linux, OS X portable, so I naturally avoid anything with
resource forks).

DeRez and Rez could presumably be used to store the rfork as a
property.  But detecting what files need that treatment (have an
rfork), and detecting when the rfork has changed might be tricky. (Does
it affect the last-modified timestamp?  It won't affect the reported
file size.)  A patched version of svn might be the best answer: it
would essentially be a default-svn-client-clone using c-bindings with
additional functionality added using those same bindings.

Also, what do people do when they want to "export" this stuff which
depends on properties to determine how the final file should result?
(be it for resource fork or Unix owner/group and permissions)  Looks to
me like you wouldn't be able to use "svn export" even with a wrapper
unless you wanted to do a propget on every file that resulted.  Maybe
using the bindings, people can come up with their own customized export
facilities (or a modified svn client, if you can view it as just a
client using c-bindings).

-Travis

Re: Mac Resource Forks - What is the status? Workarounds?

Posted by ruffnex <ru...@mac.com>.
Hi Travis,

The same problem exists for CVS, but Subversion is supposed to be
better than CVS :-)  Resource forks are still here, and while they
exist, it means any SCM is still going to feel like a 'second citizen'
on the Mac.

There might be a temporary solution based around developer tools such
as 'Rez' or the standard OS X tool 'ditto' and SVN properties.  Ditto
is a tool to copy files and directories.  It can also archive a
file/directory.

Man ditto reveals:
<snip>
   Preserve resource forks and HFS meta-data.  ditto will store this
            data in Carbon-compatible ._ AppleDouble files on
filesystems that
            do not natively support resource forks.
      --sequesterRsrc
            ditto will preserve resource forks and HFS meta-data in the
direc-
            tory __MACOSX within PKZip archives.
<snip>

Is it possible, (hook scripts?), to:
1. set a property on a file with known resource fork, or a directory
2. on commit, treat file as a binary file, but instead of copying it
into Subversion, run a script which will use ditto to archive the file
into a PKZip archive, with a __MACOSX directory in the archive
containing resource forks and HFS meta-data.  The ZIP file is stored in
the database.
3. on checkout, the ZIP file is extracted, the property kicks off a
script, which uses ditto to unzip the file and restore resource forks
and meta-data.

I realise the above sounds very 'cvswrappers'ish, and doesn't discuss
preserving/handling meta-data on other UNIXes and Windows systems.
Still, I would love if Subversion could come up with a solution, even
if not perfect, as it would be a huge win for Mac developers.

--Simon

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
ruffnex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With XCode 1.5 supporting Subversion, I imagine a lot more Mac users are
> going to be asking this question...
>
> What is the status of handling files with resource forks on Mac OS X?

Given that all of the UNIX commands and APIs in OSX do not support
resource forks, I don't see how Subversion can support them...

IIRC, resource forks are deprecated on MacOS X in favor of bundles
(for applications) and extensions (for documents).

Re: Mac Resource Forks - What is the status? Workarounds?

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 08:49, ruffnex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With XCode 1.5 supporting Subversion, I imagine a lot more Mac users
> are going to be asking this question...
>
> What is the status of handling files with resource forks on Mac OS X?

Unlikely to happen anytime soon--at least in the core version of
Subversion.

> Are there any temporary solutions?

$ ls -la /Developer/Tools/*Rez
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  admin  115616  9 Aug 23:41 /Developer/Tools/DeRez*
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  admin  124892  9 Aug 23:41 /Developer/Tools/Rez*

-Fitz