Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dennis Halladay <dh...@somalogic.com> on 2008/01/17 18:45:37 UTC

Troubleshooting hanging commits

We have started having intermittent hangs on commits, and would like
troubleshooting suggestions.

The server is subversion 1.3.2 on SLES9 over xinetd - running rock solid
for two years (FSFS).

Clients can checkout, diff, etc.  On commits, they hang - if fact we
have to kill eclipse.
svnadmin recover does not seem to find (or fix) anything.  After a
recover and killing svnserver
processes we can sometimes commit for a few sessions.

I cannot locate an svn error log (xinetd.log has START/EXIT entries).

I tried a tcp trace using Wireshark from Windows XP - the exchange up to
the hang is as follows:

( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
( 2 ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries ) \
 76:svn://kong.sladmin.com/svn-repository/WebApps/trunk/AptamerDB )
( success ( ( ANONYMOUS CRAM-MD5 ) 4:Kong ) )
( ANONYMOUS ( 0: ) ) ( success ( ) )
( success ( 36:2b0d28ef-9b19-0410-a0bb-bcc6e5dd04af
37:svn://kong.sladmin.com/svn-repository ) )
( commit ( 27:add web behavior, refs #163 ( ) false ) )
( success ( ( CRAM-MD5 ) 4:Kong ) )
( CRAM-MD5 ( ) )

Is there a svnserver error log that can help me out?
Should I dump and re-load the database?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
 -Dennis

Re: Troubleshooting hanging commits

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 17, 2008, at 12:45, Dennis Halladay wrote:

> We have started having intermittent hangs on commits, and would
> like troubleshooting suggestions.
>
> The server is subversion 1.3.2 on SLES9 over xinetd - running rock
> solid for two years (FSFS).
>
> Clients can checkout, diff, etc.  On commits, they hang - if fact
> we have to kill eclipse.
> svnadmin recover does not seem to find (or fix) anything.  After a
> recover and killing svnserver
> processes we can sometimes commit for a few sessions.
>
> I cannot locate an svn error log (xinetd.log has START/EXIT entries).
>
> I tried a tcp trace using Wireshark from Windows XP - the exchange
> up to the hang is as follows:
>
> ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
> ( 2 ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries ) \
>  76:svn://kong.sladmin.com/svn-repository/WebApps/trunk/AptamerDB )
> ( success ( ( ANONYMOUS CRAM-MD5 ) 4:Kong ) )
> ( ANONYMOUS ( 0: ) ) ( success ( ) )
> ( success ( 36:2b0d28ef-9b19-0410-a0bb-bcc6e5dd04af 37:svn://
> kong.sladmin.com/svn-repository ) )
> ( commit ( 27:add web behavior, refs #163 ( ) false ) )
> ( success ( ( CRAM-MD5 ) 4:Kong ) )
> ( CRAM-MD5 ( ) )
>
> Is there a svnserver error log that can help me out?
> Should I dump and re-load the database?
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

There is no Subversion error log when using svnserve, sorry. (If you
were serving with Apache you could look in the Apache error log.)

You may want to upgrade to the current version of Subversion, which
is 1.4.6.

Re: Troubleshooting hanging commits

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 17, 2008 7:45 PM, Dennis Halladay <dh...@somalogic.com> wrote:

> We have started having intermittent hangs on commits, and would like
> troubleshooting suggestions.
>
> The server is subversion 1.3.2 on SLES9 over xinetd - running rock solid for
> two years (FSFS).
>
> Clients can checkout, diff, etc.  On commits, they hang - if fact we have to
> kill eclipse.
> svnadmin recover does not seem to find (or fix) anything.  After a recover
> and killing svnserver
> processes we can sometimes commit for a few sessions.
>
> I cannot locate an svn error log (xinetd.log has START/EXIT entries).
>
> I tried a tcp trace using Wireshark from Windows XP - the exchange up to the
> hang is as follows:
>
> ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
> ( 2 ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries ) \
>  76:svn://kong.sladmin.com/svn-repository/WebApps/trunk/AptamerDB )
> ( success ( ( ANONYMOUS CRAM-MD5 ) 4:Kong ) )
> ( ANONYMOUS ( 0: ) ) ( success ( ) )
> ( success ( 36:2b0d28ef-9b19-0410-a0bb-bcc6e5dd04af
> 37:svn://kong.sladmin.com/svn-repository ) )
> ( commit ( 27:add web behavior, refs #163 ( ) false ) )
> ( success ( ( CRAM-MD5 ) 4:Kong ) )
> ( CRAM-MD5 ( ) )
>
> Is there a svnserver error log that can help me out?
> Should I dump and re-load the database?
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

Has the traffic to your server increased? CRAM-MD5 uses cryptographic
functions from APR which require entropy. Your server could be waiting
for more entropy to flow into /dev/random (this is often a problem
with headless servers).

HTH,

Erik.