Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Richard S. Huntrods" <hu...@nucleus.com> on 2001/12/20 17:15:49 UTC

Can you view SSL without the "https" prefix?

Greetings!

Is it possible to view an SSL document without using the https prefix?

Before I enabled SSL on my servlets, I was using port 8080.  Now I have
SSL working, and have disabled the "normal" non-SSL port 8080.  Instead,
I am using SSL on port 8080.  This makes my application ONLY run with
SSL.

I can change any references internal to my system (index.html, etc) to
use "https", but some clients have bookmarked the servlet page, rather
than the access page.  Is there a way to redirect
"http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8080/index.html" to *actually* call up the page
"https://xx.xx.xx.xx:8080/index.html" ?

Thanks very much in advance,

-Richard

Re: Can you view SSL without the "https" prefix?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Richard S. Huntrods wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:15:49 -0700
> From: Richard S. Huntrods <hu...@nucleus.com>
> To: "tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Can you view SSL without the "https" prefix?
>
> Greetings!
>
> Is it possible to view an SSL document without using the https prefix?
>
> Before I enabled SSL on my servlets, I was using port 8080.  Now I have
> SSL working, and have disabled the "normal" non-SSL port 8080.  Instead,
> I am using SSL on port 8080.  This makes my application ONLY run with
> SSL.
>
> I can change any references internal to my system (index.html, etc) to
> use "https", but some clients have bookmarked the servlet page, rather
> than the access page.  Is there a way to redirect
> "http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8080/index.html" to *actually* call up the page
> "https://xx.xx.xx.xx:8080/index.html" ?

You can run only one protocol (i.e. either with SSL or without) on any
given port number.

You would have been better off leaving a non-SSL connector running on port
8080, with just an index page that redirects to a different port for the
SSL based applications.

> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> -Richard

Craig