Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Henrik Ingo <he...@datastax.com> on 2022/07/04 18:33:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Cassandra ecosystem site

Hi all

One thing that is common to all successful large open source projects is
that they inevitably grow a huge ecosystem of plugins, addons or supporting
tools that are independent from the official core project. For example
addons.mozilla.org and pypi.org are two examples of what I mean.

Some time ago I stumbled into flink-packages.org . As you might guess it's
a catalogue of 3rd party plugins for Apache Flink. The source code is
available at https://github.com/ververica/flink-ecosystem so I decided to
fork it and do s/Flink/Cassandra/ and see where that brings me.

It ended up like this: http://35.184.128.58/ and
https://github.com/henrikingo/flink-ecosystem

With the help of some colleagues we've populated the site with the entries
from https://cassandra.apache.org/_/ecosystem.html plus some other things
we could think of. The point with the site is that anyone is welcome to
authenticate with your github account, and submit an entry with links to
your favorite Cassandra addon or tool. The idea is that for example the
developer of a tool is welcome to add and maintain their own entry.

Currently the site is in my personal GCP account. The proposal - which I
would like to hear discussion and feedback on - is essentially to replace
https://cassandra.apache.org/_/ecosystem.html with this site. It could live
at something like ecosystem.cassandra.apache.org for example. The goal of
this would be to give more visibility to software that is part of the
Cassandra ecosystem in the wider/widest sense. For example, in addition to
launching this site, we could feature individual tools/addons in blogs and
social media.

I'm happy to share admin access with a few additional volunteers, or for
that matter to move the site to a server I don't need to pay for and
maintain. If we do want to start using this, maybe an immediate need would
be to setup a backup of the MySQL database that hosts the contents of the
site.

henrik

--

Henrik Ingo

+358 40 569 7354 <358405697354>

[image: Visit us online.] <https://www.datastax.com/>  [image: Visit us on
Twitter.] <https://twitter.com/DataStaxEng>  [image: Visit us on YouTube.]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_channel_UCqA6zOSMpQ55vvguq4Y0jAg&d=DwMFaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=IFj3MdIKYLLXIUhYdUGB0cTzTlxyCb7_VUmICBaYilU&m=bmIfaie9O3fWJAu6lESvWj3HajV4VFwgwgVuKmxKZmE&s=16sY48_kvIb7sRQORknZrr3V8iLTfemFKbMVNZhdwgw&e=>
  [image: Visit my LinkedIn profile.] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/heingo/>

Re: [DISCUSS] Cassandra ecosystem site

Posted by Henrik Ingo <he...@datastax.com>.
Thanks for sharing, Rahul

Although I knew about Cassandra.link, I somehow had not heard about
Cassandra.tools. I love the current Cassandra.link btw, I think the layout
flows nicely and it feels easier to browse the articles and news compared
to last time I looked.

As for Cassandra.tools, it indeed seems to be very similar to what I put
together. I agree that a static site generator is an option, since
contributors would typically be comfortable with adding content via
submitting PRs with Markdown. Otoh what I feel I'm missing is the nice
grouping into categories that http://35.184.128.58/ has. There I do like
the structure and smooth flow of jamstackthemes.dev.

Do I read you correctly that you are open to collaborate and build upon
cassandra.tools rather than  http://35.184.128.58/? To be specific, is it
aligned with your goals for cassandra.tools that it would be a neutral
community site? (I actually don't know if it needs to be under any kind of
formal Cassandra project supervision, but either way should be similar in
spirit to what content can currently go into
https://cassandra.apache.org/_/ecosystem.html.

As a final comment... If we are going back to static site generators, I
guess I should mention for the record that simply evolving the current
https://cassandra.apache.org/_/ecosystem.html is an option too.

henrik

Posted by Rahul Xavier Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
Henrik

What a great find! Love the filterability. Our team and I have been
curating on https://cassandra.tools/ for a few years on a Markdown based

https://cassandra.link which is also generated from Gatsby but is backed by

rahul.singh@anant.us li: http://linkedin.com/in/xingh ca:
http://calendly.com/xingh