Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/19 00:56:35 UTC

snapshot process (was: Re: Documentation links and content "out of date")

Hi,

I'm trying to get the snapshot process working as closely to the new
release process as possible. From what I can tell, mvn release:prepare
is really oriented towards releases, not towards snapshots. Does
anyone know of an equivalent snapshot target that we could use?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: snapshot process (was: Re: Documentation links and content "out of date")

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
> $ mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true deploy
> -DaltDeploymentRepository=myserver::default::scp://
> myserver.myhost.com/home/mikedd/temp22
>
> $ mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true site:stage-deploy
> -DstagingSiteURL=scp://myserver.myhost.com:/home/mikedd/temp-site

Interesting -- I didn't know you could pass in overrides like that.

> Here's what I propose, after the 1.0.3 release is approved I'll
> update the
> pom.xml files for 1.0.x and 1.2.x (1.1.x too if you approve). The
> changes
> will be to update the default deploy location to be
> openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/${version} (or something similar).
> That way
> the automated build system will go ahead and publish to the latest
> directory
> with no need for command line arguments.

I've got changes to the trunk pom.xml that does something much like
that right now (without the 'latest' dir); it failed to run from the
autobuild on Friday, and I was at a pre-OSCON event yesterday, but am
hoping to figure out why not today.

> In the release profile we'll change the deployment location to be
> people.apache.org/${user}/public_html/. . . so that the release is
> publicly
> available. If we can't override the location via the profile I'll
> update the
> instructions to pass it along as a command line arg.

Knowing that we can pass overrides into mvn, I think that there's a
case to be made for having the defaults be to put contents into the
user's homedir, and then have the snapshot process and the release
process override the values as appropriate. That seems a bit safer. I
think that the current settings for the repository locations in trunk
might actually be (almost) sufficient.

I think we should make one change: instead of the current values ([1]
and [2]), I think we should use the following:

scp://people.apache.org/home/${user.name}/public_html/openjpa-staging-
repo
scp://people.apache.org/home/${user.name}/public_html/openjpa-staging-
site

Thoughts?

-Patrick

[1] scp://people.apache.org/home/${user.name}/public_html/openjpa/$
{pom.version}/staging-repo
[2] scp://people.apache.org/home/${user.name}/public_html/openjpa/$
{pom.version}/staging-site

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> scp://people.apache.org/home/${user.name}/public_html/openjpa-staging-<http://people.apache.org/home/$%7Buser.name%7D/public_html/openjpa-staging->
>> site
>>

> I put the pom.version directory in the location to account for the corner
> case where a single release manager has published more than one version at
> the same time. For example if I had submitted a vote for 1.2.0 on Monday
> there would be 1.0.3 and 1.2.0 candidates in the same staging repository. At
> the end of the process when we run mvn stage:deploy I believe both versions
> would be copied to the ibiblio rsync repository.
>
> I think this is a known issue with the stage plugin which should be fixed
> in the near future, but with all the other changes for the release process I
> didn't want to add another point of failure.
>
> Admittedly this is a corner case, but once something is in the ibiblio

I didn't notice that you suggested removing the openjpa directory too. That
part seems OK with me, it's really only useful if you're releasing another
project at the same time.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.
Comments inline below

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi Patrick,

[...]

$ mvn -DstagingSiteURL=scp://people.apache.org/www/openjpa.apache.org/builds/${version}