Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Robert <ro...@robert.cz> on 2002/05/03 08:45:39 UTC

[OT] European meeting of Embperl users ???

Gerald Richter wrote:

> as every year O'Reilly OpenSource Convention takes place in summer (July
> 22-26, 2002 -- San Diego, CA ) and as in the last years there should be also
> a talk about Embperl. So I have submitted my proposal and the talk was
> accepted, but unlike as in the last years O'Reilly has no funding for the
> speakers. That mean that I would have to pay the flight from Germany to the
> US, the hotel etc. on my own. That is more then it is possible for me. So I
> can't go to the conference this year :-(, but I really like to see the
> Embperl talk happen.

Those meetings are great but it's still a bit too expensive to fly to
California for some Europeans. Anybody knows about similar event in
Europe?

BTW We could organize a little Embperl users meeting here in Prague...
It's reasonably cheap and quite close to Gerald... It shouldn't be hard
to arrange for decent hotel and some conference facilities here. If
anybody's interested (Gerald?) we can start some planning. What I have
in mind is rather informal say two days meeting, couple of talks and a
lot of socializing (Czech bier is supposed to be rather good ;-) How
does it sound?

- Robert

Re: [OT] European meeting of Embperl users ???

Posted by Gerald Richter - ecos gmbh <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Those meetings are great but it's still a bit too expensive to fly to
> California for some Europeans. Anybody knows about similar event in
> Europe?

Leon and Axel already gives the addresses. Embperl is was present at the two
Leon pointed out.

> BTW We could organize a little Embperl users meeting here in Prague...
> It's reasonably cheap and quite close to Gerald... It shouldn't be hard
> to arrange for decent hotel and some conference facilities here. If
> anybody's interested (Gerald?) we can start some planning. What I have
> in mind is rather informal say two days meeting, couple of talks and a
> lot of socializing (Czech bier is supposed to be rather good ;-) How
> does it sound?

Oh, I always wanted to vist prague. (I have been there when I was 5 years
old, but I don't remember anything).

Basicly I think this would be a good idea. The question is, are there eoungh
people interested in comeing to a pure Embperl meeting, so that it would be
worth the effort? Or are there enough other european Perl meetings, so that
another is too much?

Gerald

Re: [OT] European meeting of Embperl users ???

Posted by Axel Beckert - ecos gmbh <be...@ecos.de>.
Hi!

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 08:45:39AM +0200, Robert wrote:
> Those meetings are great but it's still a bit too expensive to fly
> to California for some Europeans.

Ack.

> Anybody knows about similar event in Europe?

Yep, there are quite a lot conferences and meetings around Open Source
Software in Europe. Those are the next ones I know, although perhaps
not the same taste as OSCON (which I haven't experienced yet :-)...

+ LinuxTag: Jun 6-9, 2002, Karlsruhe, half fair, half conference
  (http://www.linuxtag.org/2002/), the favourite Linux event of most
  Linuxers in Europe. Interesting talks, interesting people.

+ International Linux System Technology Conference: Sep, 4-6, 2002,
  Cologne (http://www.linux-kongress.org/2002/)

+ YAPC::Europe: Yet Another PERL Conference Europe, Sep 18-20, 2002,
  Munich (http://www.yapc.org/Europe/2002/)

+ LinuxWorld Conference & Expo: Oct, 29-31, 2002, Frankfurt/Main, more
  business orientated (http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/)

+ German PERL Workshop: Mar, 5-7, 2003, Bonn
  (http://www.perlworkshop.de/2003/)

There are other OS Conferences, of which I don't know the date or
which have already been:

+ ApacheCon Europe: Next date unknown, last fell through because of
  lacking sponsors IIRC (http://apachecon.com/)

+ Annual Open Source Content Management Systems Conference (OSCMSC):
  Last one was at Zürich (http://www.oscom.org/conferences/zurich2002/),
  next one unfortunately will be in San Francisco, the second-next
  will probably be held in Japan.

+ Linux-Expo: OK, this is definitely more fair and exhibition than
  conference, it's every few months somewhere else, mainly in Europe
  (http://www.linux-expo.com/), not really my world.

> BTW We could organize a little Embperl users meeting here in
> Prague...  It's reasonably cheap and quite close to Gerald... It
> shouldn't be hard to arrange for decent hotel and some conference
> facilities here. If anybody's interested (Gerald?) we can start some
> planning. What I have in mind is rather informal say two days
> meeting, couple of talks and a lot of socializing

Doesn't sound that bad. I really wonder, how many people would be
interested.

> (Czech bier is supposed to be rather good ;-)

... and cheap! :-) Unfortunately I don't like beer... ;-)

> How does it sound?

            Regards, Axel Beckert
Axel Beckert      ecos electronic communication services gmbh

E-Mail:     beckert@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 926530
WWW:        http://www.ecos.de/     Fax:      +49 6133 925152

Re: [OT] European meeting of Embperl users ???

Posted by Leon Brocard <ac...@astray.com>.
Robert sent the following bits through the ether:

> Those meetings are great but it's still a bit too expensive to fly to
> California for some Europeans. Anybody knows about similar event in
> Europe?

http://www.perlworkshop.de/
http://www.yapc.org/Europe/

HTH, Leon
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
Nanoware...............................http://www.nanoware.org/

... Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine