Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2007/01/05 08:47:00 UTC

Re: doing perfect releases (was: Release of FOP 0.93)

On 05.01.2007 06:52:23 Manuel Mall wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 13:30, The Web Maestro wrote:
> > >
> > > No stoppers but a somewhat "+0.8" only for a non-beta release
> > > (mainly because of the first point). I'll open a bug so that fixing
> > > the examples wont get lost.
> > >
> > > J.Pietschmann
> >
> > Like Jorg, I too had problems. But my problems occurred building via
> > ant. I got WARNINGS with a few of the test cases, and a couple even
> > indicated SEVERE. I'll provide some details (they're on a different
> > system.
> >
> > However, after building, I didn't have errors executing FOP via the
> > following command (from either the src build or the binary download):
> >
> > java -jar build/fop.jar -fo examples/fo/basic/border.fo -pdf
> > ~/Desktop/border.pdf
> >
> > I too would give a tepid +0.8 for this so far.
> >
> > Machine Specs:
> > - MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2.16GHz
> > - Mac OS X 10.4.8
> > - Java 1.5_03
> >

> FWIW, as I tested only the binary tar.gz distribution I just grabbed the
> src dist and build from scratch (again all done under Linux). No
> problems with the build as such at all. Yes, there are some niggling
> bits like testcases fail when built in a headless environment and the
> overall testcase build warns at the end because the hyphenation files
> are not by default present. But that has always been the case.
>
> Unless the problems observed by the Maestro and Joerg are actually new
> and not present in the previous distributions I am still happy to
> recommend to proceed with the release. In the end most users who rely
> on distributions will just use the binary distro and that seems to work
> fine.
>
> And yes, it would be really nice to have it all perfectly clean and all
> examples to build with a minimum of info/warn/error logs. But who is
> going to do it?

Exactly what I thought. Can we please get back to actually doing stuff
instead of just talking about it and pumping adrenalin into those who
are doing the hard work? You've all got committer access and can work on
those problems. Thanks.

Jeremias Maerki