Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Bedrijven.nl" <ma...@bedrijven.nl> on 2004/05/03 15:53:10 UTC

Tomcat is leaking memory

Hi all gurus,

My problem is as follows. I have several webapplication setup with the use
of virtual hosting. Everything works fine. But there is one problem and
that's the (free) memory allocated by tomcat. When I restart the server we
have about 950 MB free memory. But after a while when the applications are
running and a lot of work must be done by tomcat the free memory size goes
lower and lower. No problem since the garbage collector is running. But I
notice that the free memory of 950 MB will never reached. In fact the free
memory goes down and down after a while. At the end the applicationscome
with a java.lang.OutOfMemory exception. After a restart everything is fine.
I am using Tomcat 552 on development and Tomcat 4.1.27 on the live server,
but both have the same problem. My jdk version is 1.4.1_02.

Have someone any idea?? Please help me out..

Maarten

Re: Tomcat is leaking memory

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
I would recommend using a profiler to track down memory leaks in your
webapp. Chances are there's a bug in your code that is causing the
memory leak.

real memory leaks in tomcat usually get discovered and fixed quickly.
OptimizeIt and JProbe both have eval versions you can download to
profile your webapp.

peter