Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2019/04/02 02:16:53 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1856174 [1/29] - in /tomcat/site/trunk: docs/ xdocs/ xdocs/stylesheets/

Konstantin,

On 3/25/19 16:24, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> пн, 25 мар. 2019 г. в 20:13, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>>
>> On 25/03/2019 16:02, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> You don't like leading whitespace, now?
>>>
>>> This diff looks ... WAY bigger than it should have been.
>>
>> Different Java versions generate different output. I'm not aware
>> there is a way to configure the behaviour one way or the other
>> but if there is big +1 for configuring it explicitly. I have no
>> preference for which way it is configured.
>>
>> Mark
>
> See previous commits,
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1855896
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1855831
>
> the formatting is oscillating.
>
> (1) Any clue, what versions of Java and Apache Ant were used here?
> What is actually triggering the issue.
>
> My first though was that maybe an IDE is performing
> auto-formatting, but (see below) ...
>
> (2) The XSLT stylesheet (tomcat-site.xsl) has `indent="yes"`.
>
> <xsl:output method="html" html-version="5.0" encoding="UTF-8"
> indent="yes" doctype-system="about:legacy-compat"/>
>
> There was a switch from indent="no" to indent="yes" in
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1521874 Wed Sep
> 11 14:30:22 2013 UTC (5 years, 6 months ago)
>
> and previously from "yes" to "no" in
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1521594 Tue Sep
> 10 19:21:22 2013 UTC (5 years, 6 months ago)
>
> Technically, indent="no" should provide a more predictable result,
> but looking at those commits it looks that setting it to "no" did
> broke something.
>
> (3) Technically, I think it is possible to download a specific
> version of Apache Xalan and configure the "xslt" task of Apache Ant
> to use it.
>
> https://ant.apache.org/manual-1.9.x/Tasks/style.html See attributes
> "classpath", "factory"
>
> Though it looks as a bit of an overkill. Using indent="no" looks
> more promising.

Generally speaking, XSLT processors should not add any whitespace that
isn't already there. I suspect that indent="yes" is a way of producing
"pretty" XML/XHTML output.

Both XML and XSLT are allowed so re-flow "optional" whitespace, and
most processors will simply remove the extraneous "optional"
whitespace, forcing you to use <xsl:text>[whitespace]</xsl:text> all
over the place to produce deterministic (and present) whitespace.

This is a lot of work, but I suppose it could be done incrementally.

- -chris