Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Casey McTaggart <ca...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/16 01:22:23 UTC

problem running Nutch 1.5.1 in distributed mode- simple crawl

Hi everyone,

I'm using Hadoop as installed by Cloudera (CDH4)... I think it's version
1.0.1. I can run a local filesystem crawl with Nutch, and it returns what
I'd expect. However, I need to take advantage of the mapreduce
functionality, since I want to crawl a local filesystem with many GB of
files. I'm going to put all of these files on an apache server so they can
be crawled. First, though, I want to just crawl a simple website, and I
can't make it work.

My urls/seed.txt is on hdfs and is this:
http://lucene.apache.org

I run this command:
sudo -u hdfs hadoop jar build/apache-nutch-1.5.1.job
org.apache.nutch.crawl.Crawl urls/seed.txt -dir crawl

Sometimes, it fetches the URL, but does not go beyond depth 1... and when I
examine the CrawlDatum that's in
/user/hdfs/crawl/crawldb/current/part-00000/data, it has one entry: the
seed url as the key, and the value of the CrawlDatum is
_pst_=exception(16), lastModified=0: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/tika/mime/MimeTypeException

Okay, so I tried running the command again with -libjars nutch1.5.1.jar,
and it fails with an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. I tried running it
with -libjars /user/hdfs/lib/tika-core-1.1.jar, and that fails with:

12/09/15 17:09:55 WARN crawl.Generator: Generator: 0 records selected for
fetching, exiting ...
12/09/15 17:09:55 INFO crawl.Crawl: Stopping at depth=0 - no more URLs to
fetch.
12/09/15 17:09:55 WARN crawl.Crawl: No URLs to fetch - check your seed list
and URL filters.
12/09/15 17:09:55 INFO crawl.Crawl: crawl finished: crawl

I tried copying lib/tika-core-1.1.jar to /usr/local/hadoop-1.0.1/lib, and
still 0 URLs are fetched.

I'm totally at a loss. can someone help?

Here's my regex-urlfilter:

# skip file: ftp: and mailto: urls
-^(file|ftp|mailto):
# skip image and other suffixes we can't yet parse
# for a more extensive coverage use the urlfilter-suffix plugin
-\.(gif|GIF|jpg|JPG|png|PNG|ico|ICO|css|CSS|sit|SIT|eps|EPS|wmf|WMF|zip|ZIP|ppt|PPT|mpg|MPG|xls|XLS|gz|GZ|rpm|RPM|tgz|TGZ
|mov|MOV|exe|EXE|jpeg|JPEG|bmp|BMP|js|JS)$
# skip URLs containing certain characters as probable queries, etc.
-[?*!@=]
# skip URLs with slash-delimited segment that repeats 3+ times, to break
loops
-.*(/[^/]+)/[^/]+\1/[^/]+\1/
# accept anything else
+.

here's my nutch-site.xml:

<configuration>
  <property>
    <name>http.agent.name</name>
    <value>nutchtest</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>plugin.folders</name>

<value>/projects/nutch/apache-nutch-1.5.1/build/plugins,/projects/nutch/apache-nutch-1.5.1/lib</value>
  </property>
</configuration>

which also does not work if I include this part:

<property>
    <name>plugin.includes</name>

<value>protocol-http|urlnormalizer-(basic|pass|regex)|urlfilter-regex|parse-(xml|text|html|tika)|index-(basic|anchor)
|query-(basic|site|url)|response-(json|xml)|addhdfskey</value>
  </property>

Re: problem running Nutch 1.5.1 in distributed mode- simple crawl

Posted by jiuling <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thank Walter a lot. It does work following your advise. Thank you again.

Re: problem running Nutch 1.5.1 in distributed mode- simple crawl

Posted by Walter Tietze <ti...@neofonie.de>.
Hi Jiuling,

It should suffice to recompile! You don't have to unpack your job.

I start the job with the command

'runtime/deploy/bin/nutch crawl your_seeds_dir -depth 1'

which does nothing else then calling

'hadoop jar apache-nutch-1.5.1.job ....'!

That should suffice.

For accessing the plugins from the job, the parameter

<property>
  <name>plugin.folders</name>
  <!-- value>plugins</value -->
  <value>classes/plugins</value>
</property>

might have to be adjusted like the example above,

Please check the structure of the plugins directory
in your job.

I made one further modification, which came from the need to be able
to set hadoop parameters for the jobs.

I modified class ./src/java/org/apache/nutch/util/NutchJob.java to

public class NutchJob extends JobConf {
  public NutchJob(Configuration conf) {
    super(conf, NutchJob.class);
    checkMyOpts();
  }

  public void checkMyOpts() {
        Map<String, String> env = System.getenv();
        String myOpts = env.get("MY_CRAWLER_OPTS");
        if(null != myOpts) {
           String[] myOptsArray = myOpts.split(" ");
           for(int i = 0; i < myOptsArray.length; i++) {
                String[] keyval = myOptsArray[i].split("=");
                if(null != keyval && keyval.length == 2) {
                        set(keyval[0], keyval[1]);
                }
           }
        }
  }
}

to be able to set hadoop parameters for the jobs from the commandline,
because I had problems with the default settings for the hadoop child
processes.

If you add the code above,  you can set an environment variable to

export MY_CRAWLER_OPTS="mapreduce.map.java.opts=-Xmx4096m
mapreduce.reduce.java.opts=-Xmx4096m mapreduce.map.memory.mb=4096
mapreduce.reduce.memory.mb=4096 mapreduce.job.maps=21
mapreduce.job.reduces=21"

which sets for YarnChild processes the java parameter -Xmx to 4GB
and requests for the crawl 21 maps and 21 reduces.

This variables get important, when for example you want to generate
a nutch webgraph and the hadoop default settings are choosen for
'normally' sized jobs.

Please remark, if hadoop unpacks the job, the container must have at
least space for the unpacked files and enough memory space to load
the jars into the jvms of the child processes.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Walter

Am 18.09.2012 04:39, schrieb jiuling:
> Dir Walter:
>
>     I am sorry for I want your more help.
>
>      I have update the corresponding java and recompiled. At the first step,
> I do not unpack the job and directly excute hadoop jar *.job ..., it still
> not work.
>     Finally, I unpacked the job, but don't known how to compile the command?
> Can you help me for more information  about "Something one can do, is to
> unpack the job in the Nodemanager manually
> and to load the classes from within the code into the current
> classloader. "?
>
>     Thank you a lot.

--------------------------------
Walter Tietze
Senior Softwareengineer
Research

Neofonie GmbH
Robert-Koch-Platz 4
10115 Berlin

T +49.30 24627 318
F +49.30 24627 120

Walter.Tietze@neofonie.de
http://www.neofonie.de

Handelsregister
Berlin-Charlottenburg: HRB 67460

Geschäftsführung:
Thomas Kitlitschko
--------------------------------

Re: problem running Nutch 1.5.1 in distributed mode- simple crawl

Posted by Casey McTaggart <ca...@gmail.com>.
including /plugins/classes in plugin.folders made it work. thank you!!!

Posted by Walter Tietze <ti...@neofonie.de>.

--

--------------------------------

Posted by Casey McTaggart <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Tietze <ti...@neofonie.de>.

Hi,

--

--------------------------------

Posted by Casey McTaggart <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jiuling <ji...@gmail.com>.
Dear Lewis:
    I have met the same problem. I compile in the your same way. But it
still cause the problem.  The configuration of seeds and filters do work for
a local crawl, but failed  in deploy mode. Please help me , thank you a lot.

    The procedure is as following:
[Jiuling@crawler-3 deploy]$ bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawls -depth 20 (*i
have also execute by "bin/hadoop jar apache-nutch-1.6-SNAPSHOT.job
org.apache.nutch.crawl.Crawl urls -dir crawls -depth 20"* )
Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.

12/09/16 18:40:16 WARN crawl.Crawl: solrUrl is not set, indexing will be
skipped...
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Crawl: crawl started in: crawls
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Crawl: rootUrlDir = urls
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Crawl: threads = 10
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Crawl: depth = 20
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Crawl: solrUrl=null
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Injector: Injector: starting at 2012-09-16
18:40:16
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Injector: Injector: crawlDb: crawls/crawldb
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Injector: Injector: urlDir: urls
12/09/16 18:40:16 INFO crawl.Injector: Injector: Converting injected urls to
crawl db entries.
12/09/16 18:40:23 INFO util.NativeCodeLoader: Loaded the native-hadoop
library
12/09/16 18:40:23 WARN snappy.LoadSnappy: Snappy native library not loaded
12/09/16 18:40:23 INFO mapred.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process
: 1
12/09/16 18:40:23 INFO mapred.JobClient: Running job: job_201209161612_0047
12/09/16 18:40:24 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 0% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:40:39 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:40:51 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 50%
12/09/16 18:40:54 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 100%
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient: Job complete: job_201209161612_0047
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient: Counters: 30
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:   Job Counters
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Launched reduce tasks=2
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SLOTS_MILLIS_MAPS=16534
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total time spent by all reduces
waiting after reserving slots (ms)=0
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total time spent by all maps
waiting after reserving slots (ms)=0
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Launched map tasks=2
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Data-local map tasks=2
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SLOTS_MILLIS_REDUCES=20086
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:   File Input Format Counters
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Bytes Read=321
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:   File Output Format Counters
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Bytes Written=716
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:   FileSystemCounters
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     FILE_BYTES_READ=502
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     HDFS_BYTES_READ=517
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN=132358
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     HDFS_BYTES_WRITTEN=716
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:   Map-Reduce Framework
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output materialized
bytes=514
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map input records=11
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce shuffle bytes=231
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Spilled Records=18
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output bytes=472
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total committed heap usage
(bytes)=358285312
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     CPU time spent (ms)=3070
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map input bytes=213
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SPLIT_RAW_BYTES=196
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Combine input records=0
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input records=9
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input groups=9
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Combine output records=0
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Physical memory (bytes)
snapshot=580689920
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce output records=9
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Virtual memory (bytes)
snapshot=8829870080
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output records=9
12/09/16 18:40:59 INFO crawl.Injector: Injector: Merging injected urls into
crawl db.
12/09/16 18:41:05 INFO mapred.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process
: 4
12/09/16 18:41:06 INFO mapred.JobClient: Running job: job_201209161612_0048
12/09/16 18:41:07 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 0% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:41:22 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 50% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:41:28 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:41:31 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 8%
12/09/16 18:41:37 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 58%
12/09/16 18:41:40 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 100%
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient: Job complete: job_201209161612_0048
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient: Counters: 30
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:   Job Counters
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Launched reduce tasks=2
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SLOTS_MILLIS_MAPS=26468
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total time spent by all reduces
waiting after reserving slots (ms)=0
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total time spent by all maps
waiting after reserving slots (ms)=0
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Launched map tasks=4
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Data-local map tasks=4
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SLOTS_MILLIS_REDUCES=26867
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:   File Input Format Counters
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Bytes Read=51222
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:   File Output Format Counters
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Bytes Written=51056
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:   FileSystemCounters
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     FILE_BYTES_READ=46201
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     HDFS_BYTES_READ=51754
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN=290892
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     HDFS_BYTES_WRITTEN=51056
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:   Map-Reduce Framework
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output materialized
bytes=46237
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map input records=703
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce shuffle bytes=46010
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Spilled Records=1406
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output bytes=44774
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total committed heap usage
(bytes)=599851008
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     CPU time spent (ms)=2690
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map input bytes=50878
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SPLIT_RAW_BYTES=532
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Combine input records=0
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input records=703
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input groups=694
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Combine output records=0
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Physical memory (bytes)
snapshot=923774976
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce output records=694
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Virtual memory (bytes)
snapshot=12767576064
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output records=703
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO crawl.Injector: Injector: finished at 2012-09-16
18:41:45, elapsed: 00:01:28
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO crawl.Generator: Generator: starting at 2012-09-16
18:41:45
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO crawl.Generator: Generator: Selecting best-scoring
urls due for fetch.
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO crawl.Generator: Generator: filtering: true
12/09/16 18:41:45 INFO crawl.Generator: Generator: normalizing: true
12/09/16 18:41:51 INFO mapred.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process
: 2
12/09/16 18:41:51 INFO mapred.JobClient: Running job: job_201209161612_0049
12/09/16 18:41:52 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 0% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:42:07 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 0%
12/09/16 18:42:16 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 8%
12/09/16 18:42:19 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 66%
12/09/16 18:42:22 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 100% reduce 100%
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient: Job complete: job_201209161612_0049
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient: Counters: 29
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:   Job Counters
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Launched reduce tasks=2
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SLOTS_MILLIS_MAPS=17772
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total time spent by all reduces
waiting after reserving slots (ms)=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total time spent by all maps
waiting after reserving slots (ms)=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Launched map tasks=2
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Data-local map tasks=2
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SLOTS_MILLIS_REDUCES=20043
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:   File Input Format Counters
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Bytes Read=50506
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:   File Output Format Counters
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Bytes Written=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:   FileSystemCounters
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     FILE_BYTES_READ=12
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     HDFS_BYTES_READ=50752
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN=135098
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:   Map-Reduce Framework
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output materialized
bytes=24
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map input records=694
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce shuffle bytes=18
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Spilled Records=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output bytes=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Total committed heap usage
(bytes)=369360896
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     CPU time spent (ms)=3330
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map input bytes=50334
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     SPLIT_RAW_BYTES=246
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Combine input records=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input records=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input groups=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Combine output records=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Physical memory (bytes)
snapshot=582873088
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Reduce output records=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Virtual memory (bytes)
snapshot=8829927424
12/09/16 18:42:27 INFO mapred.JobClient:     Map output records=0
12/09/16 18:42:27 WARN crawl.Generator: Generator: 0 records selected for
fetching, exiting ...
12/09/16 18:42:28 INFO crawl.Crawl: Stopping at depth=0 - no more URLs to
fetch.
12/09/16 18:42:28 WARN crawl.Crawl: No URLs to fetch - check your seed list
and URL filters.
12/09/16 18:42:28 INFO crawl.Crawl: crawl finished: crawls

Re: problem running Nutch 1.5.1 in distributed mode- simple crawl

Posted by Casey McTaggart <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

I get the exact same results when I run the bin/nutch script from
runtime/deploy... any other help? sorry, thanks!

I run it like this
sudo -u hdfs bin/nutch crawl urls/seed.txt -dir crawl

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Casey,