Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ph...@mgb.ch on 2002/07/18 17:17:57 UTC

getRemoteHost(): how to get the fully qualified name?

Hi all

When I call the ServletRequest's getRemoteHost()-method, I get sometimes the
fully quialified name and sometimes the IP of the remote host. This is the
case also, if the fully qualified name is aviable to the Solaris the server
is running on (using nslookup). Now, is there a way to force the
Servlet-Engine to deliver the fully qualified name instead of the IP all the
times?

Thanks for any help.
Philipp

RE: getRemoteHost(): how to get the fully qualified name?

Posted by "Sexton, George" <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
The issue is that for the one's you are getting the IP Address for, Reverse
DNS zones are not configured properly. About 40-60% of the internet doesn't
have properly configured reverse DNS zones.

You can get more information by querying the registrar for that ip block.

whois xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx@whois.arin.net

if arin is not the block registrar, then you have to query the correct one
like RIPE or APNIC

RIPE is pretty nice in that the server seems to automatically recurse and
give good detail. ARIN requires you to single out the sub-net block and
perform a whois on it.

Have fun.