Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Prashant Shekar <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/29 03:35:34 UTC

Hi!

Hi,

I am Prasanth Iyer - a graduate student in Computer Science at the
University of Southern California. I am currently taking a course -
Information Retrieval and Web Search Engines with Prof. Chris Mattmann
where I hope to learn about some of the technologies and tools that power
today's search engines.

Tika and Nutch are two of the technologies that we are learning about and I
would love to contribute to it. I love creating software and I am
passionate about open-source technology given that I have always been a
huge benefactor from it.

My prior experience with information retrieval was as part of a research
project to find the centers of influence of a Twitter dataset where we
tweaked Google's PageRank algorithm to find the most influential people in
a Twitter dataset with 41.7 million users and 1.47 billion relationships.
Besides this, I have also done an internship at eBay on a project which
used data analytics to achieve automatic monitoring of eBay's services.

I would love to contribute to both Tika and Nutch as part of the research I
plan to do with Prof. Mattmann this semester.

Thanks,
Prasanth Iyer

Re: Hi!

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Dear Prasanth,

Welcome to the communities! :)

You may want to check out our JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH

on both projects. Feel free to check those out
for things to work on, and also feel free to pipe
up on discussions that you are interested in.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect