Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Olivier Rossel <lo...@lolive.net> on 2001/10/02 20:18:08 UTC

Cocoon2 with no batik at all.

Summary for the lucky ones who have a X11 server on their web server:

A X11 display i required in order to initialize batik correctly.
A X11 display is typically not available on a webserver machine.
So there are various tricks to obtain one (mainly a virtual X11 server)

Of course, my administrator does not think that a X11 server will ever
hit his machine,
any time during this 3rd millenium.

What's the answer?
Php, Jsp?
NO!!!!

One mail on the list seems to say that a proper sitemap.xmap can avoid
any call to any batik routine, so you can remove the batik-libs.jar.
What a great news!!!
Did anyone made that?
Is his sitemap.xmap available somewhere?

Is it true? Or am I condemned to the neanderthal world of servlets?

Any help is welcome.

PS: this X server problem is really a mess!!!

Re: Cocoon2 with no batik at all.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@rabellino.it>.
> One mail on the list seems to say that a proper sitemap.xmap can avoid
> any call to any batik routine, so you can remove the batik-libs.jar.

Sure thing.

> What a great news!!!
> Did anyone made that?
> Is his sitemap.xmap available somewhere?

Sitemap.xmap is available under cocoon's context root (under tomcat look
into webapps/cocoon). You can edit it as you like. I didn't tried it,
but it should be enough to remove all serializers that deal with svg
(such as svg2jpeg and svg2png) as well as the FOP serializer (which uses
Batik too). Of course you need to remove the pipelines who refer to
those serializers too.

> Is it true? Or am I condemned to the neanderthal world of servlets?

Keep in mind that this is nor a Cocoon or Batik issue. The problem lies
with AWT that, in the Unix flavors of the JVM relies on a working X
environment. This means that virtually every servlet dealing with image
stuff needs to access the AWT environment so you would be stuck anyways.
With JDK1.4 I understand that this problem will be solved.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino