Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/09 06:36:09 UTC

Opening up xbean svn access (Fwd: Jar listing performance)

I and pretty much everyone with dual OpenEJB/Geronimo commit is likely way too busy to commit this patch (XBEAN-176).

I wonder in general if we shouldn't just open up the xbean section of the repo since it is more or less a commons area.  Would be nice to open it up to at least OpenEJB.  I.e. we just tweak the svn auth file like so:

  [/geronimo/xbean/]
  @geronimo = rw
  @openejb = rw

Could potentially open it to OpenWebBeans at some point later if it starts using xbean-finder.  So far talk on the OWB side has always been "lets move everything commons" which I suppose we could do, but that seems like a lot of pointless refactoring and repackaging and moving when we could just add a couple lines to the svn auth file.

Thoughts?

-David

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Opening up xbean svn access (Fwd: Jar listing performance)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 9, 2011, at 5:04 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:21 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:36 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> I and pretty much everyone with dual OpenEJB/Geronimo commit is likely way too busy to commit this patch (XBEAN-176).
>>
>> Ended up having to make CDI related change to xbean and cleared out this patch.  We should still consider opening things up though.
>
> Let's definitely keep an eye on things. Have there been problems getting patches applied?

Nah it's just been steadily shrinking.  Instead of putting good things in, people just take them out.  I've watched the finder code get forked a few times and it will likely happen again as a commons project.

Overall the projects that used to contribute to xbean have largely stopped doing so and we've been unsuccessful convincing anyone to start using the libraries.

As you say, we'll keep an eye on it.  I don't really have the brain capacity to think about good solutions at the moment anyway.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:21 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:36 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> I and pretty much everyone with dual OpenEJB/Geronimo commit is likely way too busy to commit this patch (XBEAN-176).
>
> Ended up having to make CDI related change to xbean and cleared out this patch.  We should still consider opening things up though.

Let's definitely keep an eye on things. Have there been problems getting patches applied? I can't really see this instance as a problem. I'd already applied the first patch, found a test failure, and bumped it back to Romain. He posted a second patch in the afternoon. So, I can't really see that this patch was.

If Romain or anyone else is consistently contributing to xbean, we'd certainly give them commit consideration...

--kevan

Re: Opening up xbean svn access (Fwd: Jar listing performance)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.