Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by pa...@zonnet.nl on 2003/03/10 11:30:00 UTC

Cocoon and SVG graphics under SuSe Linux

Hi,

I'm running Cocoon's SVG sample (under static-content, SVG
introduction page) under SuSe Linux 8.1. All works fine except for
the graphics. They don't show up, but generate loads of errors in
WEB-INF/logs instead.

It says that it cannot find the reference key for each graphic.
Under the hood the SVG code is serialized to .PNG format.

Under Windows everything works fine. The copy of Cocoon is
exacltly the same as under Linux.

Does anyone know where I could find the problem? Could it have
anything to do with user-rights? I have full-access to the Linux
box. Tomcat runs under a username called wwwrun with no group
attached to it. Every file under cocoon is owned by wwwrun:nogroup
and has ugo+rwx.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

Re: Cocoon and SVG graphics under SuSe Linux

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Niclas Hedhman <ni...@internuscorp.com> writes:

> On Monday 10 March 2003 21:20, Martin Holz wrote:
> > patrick.verheij@zonnet.nl writes:
> > > I'm running Cocoon's SVG sample (under static-content, SVG
> > > introduction page) under SuSe Linux 8.1. All works fine except for
> > > the graphics. They don't show up, but generate loads of errors in
> > > WEB-INF/logs instead.
>
> > Are the pngs created at all? One common problem was, that
> > die SVG serializer needs access to the X11 DISPLAY for some
> > versions of AWT. I think it's not a problem for JDK 1.4.1.
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x8 &
> > export DISPLAY=:1
> >
> > in your catalina.sh  should help.
>
> One more thing; make sure you have the XFree86-Xvfb module (Does Suse use
> RPMs?) installed.

Yes, but they are not always compatible with redhat.
On Suse-7.3 it's in the package xextra-4.1.0-45.

Martin

Re: Cocoon and SVG graphics under SuSe Linux

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@internuscorp.com>.
On Monday 10 March 2003 21:20, Martin Holz wrote:
> patrick.verheij@zonnet.nl writes:
> > I'm running Cocoon's SVG sample (under static-content, SVG
> > introduction page) under SuSe Linux 8.1. All works fine except for
> > the graphics. They don't show up, but generate loads of errors in
> > WEB-INF/logs instead.

> Are the pngs created at all? One common problem was, that
> die SVG serializer needs access to the X11 DISPLAY for some
> versions of AWT. I think it's not a problem for JDK 1.4.1.
>
> Something like
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x8 &
> export DISPLAY=:1
>
> in your catalina.sh  should help.

One more thing; make sure you have the XFree86-Xvfb module (Does Suse use
RPMs?) installed.

And as Martin mentioned, I also heard that under 1.4.1 it is no longer
required to have X running. But _I_ have not tested that yet - IIABDFI (If it
ain't broke, don't fix it).

Niclas

Re: Cocoon and SVG graphics under SuSe Linux

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.