Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joseph Lam <jl...@ust.hk> on 2005/02/17 12:34:28 UTC

Cluster: how to set mcast interface for dual LAN card?

Hi,

If I have two LAN cards and I want my Tomcat to mcast through one of them,
what parameter should I set?

Regards,
Joseph

RE: Cluster: how to set mcast interface for dual LAN card? (SOLVED)

Posted by "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rn...@qwest.net>.
The tcpListenAddress (on the <Receiver tag) may also need to be set to
the correct interface/nic (rather than just "auto").

- Richard

Posted by Joseph Lam <jl...@ust.hk>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <to...@kippdata.de>.
Depends on the OS. Usually the system decides which interface to use
depending on the routing table. E.g. on Solaris:

netstat -rnv shows:

   Destination             Mask           Gateway          Device Mxfrg
  Rtt  Ref Flg  Out  In/Fwd
-------------------- --------------- -------------------- ------ -----
----- --- --- ----- ------
224.0.0.0            240.0.0.0       192.168.100.20       eri0    1500*
    0   1 U        0     0

The shown entry is the multicast route (network 224.0.0.0 with netmask
240.0.0.0). The traffic will go through the local interface eri0 which
is the one with the local address 192.168.100.20.

If you want to route multicast through one of several interfaces on a
multi homed system, you have to set the correct route (on Unixes using
the route command). You can't do that inside Tomcat.

You need to have a good understanding of IP, networks, netmasks, routes
and multicast.

Regards,

Rainer