Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Victor Romero <vi...@fintecheando.mx> on 2020/03/15 15:54:25 UTC

Which OpenJDK (Correto vs AdoptOpenJDK) for Fineract CN?

Hi mates,

We work with customers in Mexico running high workloads and because of
regulatory laws we need the best long term support and performance, not
only for the core banking but also for the interfaces like payments and
transactional switches.

Since two years ago we have working on Fineract CN, which runs on Java 8
and while working with technology partners tools, like Redhat Openshift,
we found that the startup boot times and memory footprint was not the
best and we switched to Java 11 (with a changes in Spring Boot from 1.5
to 2).

At that time OpenJDK was the option, but in recent dates AWS is new new
guy in the block.

*So the question is, in order to contribute back to Fineract CN, which
build of **OpenJDK fits better to Apache Fineract CN AdoptOpenJDK or
Correto based on their licenses?*

AdoptOpenJDK (EOL Sept 2022) -
https://adoptopenjdk.net/about.html?variant=openjdk11&jvmVariant=hotspot

AWS Correto (EOL August 2024 ) - https://aws.amazon.com/corretto/faqs/

Regards

Victor

Re: Which OpenJDK (Correto vs AdoptOpenJDK) for Fineract CN?

Posted by Juhan Aasaru <aa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Victor,

Licensing topics are complicated but my five cents on this.

* When you run a Java project on a JDK then you are not including JDK code
into your application (and you are not changing JDK code)
so whatever JDK you use it doesn't affect the license of that application.

* When you contribute code back then your code should be running on any
regular JDK.
So you should only use Java standard API-s and not use any internal or
private API-s.
Interoperability is the key aspect of Java so normally it would be very
hard for you to use any non-standard functionality from a JDK.

* Fineract-CN uses travis-ci for continuous integration and whatever
OpenJDK travis has available (I assume its AdoptOpenJDK)
this is the one we check your code against when building and running tests.

To sum up - use Correto for your own use case if you want but it shouldn't
affect how Fineract works on other JDK-s and
there should be no licensing issues.

* Your contribution for Spring Boot 2 and Java 11 upgrade would be most
welcome.
There is a separate branch created for this into each repo to make the
builds pass:
More info here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINCN-172

Kind regards
Juhan