Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com> on 2019/03/15 11:46:27 UTC

WSL and Guacamole - No guacd messages

Hi,

I successfully installed Guacamole on Debian Distro under Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows Server 2019.

Syslog is not started by default, that is fixed by /etc/init.d/rsyslog start.

But there are no guacd messages logged to /var/log/messages ?    Catalina.out is okay.

Run "logger hello"

-          It appears in messages

Run /etc/init.d/guacd

-          Nothing is logged.

-          Guacamole is working.

Is this a quirk of WSL, and how can I fix it?

Adrian

Re: WSL and Guacamole - No guacd messages

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 4:46 AM Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I successfully installed Guacamole on Debian Distro under Windows
> Subsystem for Linux on Windows Server 2019.
>

> Syslog is not started by default, that is fixed by /etc/init.d/rsyslog
> start.
>

> But there are no guacd messages logged to /var/log/messages ?
>  Catalina.out is okay.
>

> Run “logger hello”
>
> -          It appears in messages
>

> Run /etc/init.d/guacd
>
> -          Nothing is logged.
>
> -          Guacamole is working.
>

> Is this a quirk of WSL, and how can I fix it?

I have not tried this myself, but it seems to be an outstanding bug in WSL:

https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/534

It looks like WSL has rsyslog set up to the extent that "logger" will work,
but otherwise has a broken syslog.

- Mike