Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Daniel Silva <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/20 13:08:59 UTC

Wookie widget compatibility

Hi,
I would like to know wich versions of JavaScrip, HTML, CSS and DOM wookie
widgets allow

--
best regars,

Daniel Silva

Re: AW: Wookie widget compatibility

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 20 Jan 2010, at 13:00, Essl, Markus wrote:

> Hello Scott!
>
> As far as I understand the main html page of the widget get's some
> "injections" - and what I understand there are some issues revolving
> around this. If that's right, there could hypothetically be
> compatibility issues because of that.

Indeed; Wookie relies on the libraries that support HTML markup for
this, and these could have some compatibility issues, e.g. with HTML5.
I recently checked in a change to this so that we code to an interface
onto the HTML engine so in future we can switch between HtmlCleaner,
Neko, JTidy etc based on what seems to work the best. (see the
org.apache.wookie.util.html package)

> FireFox for example does have an strict mode (I think this is next
> javascript version) - if that was set at the beginning of the widget
> html page, would that change the injected javascripts behavior?

Perhaps, the doctype declaration will affect how the browser processes
the widget, and the client-side Widget code runs in that space, so
potentially there could be issues. We basically have to keep testing
and making sure we get as much browser compatibility as possible from
our own injected scripts; we can't do much with widget scripts at the
moment.; one possibility is to use Caja to "cajole" widget scripts
into being compliant (see http://code.google.com/p/google-caja/)

> And finally, there are some things you should not do in your widget,
> like naming a variable DRW (or was it DWR?) because the injected
> javascripts do pollute the global namespace (besides the mandatory
> 'Widget' object)

Yes, we do add DWR and widget (alias Widget) to the top level context,
and so that is a definite limitation.

> But I'm not that deep into this matter, so I might be wrong. What do
> you think?

Pretty much spot on!

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,