Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/10 09:36:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache and Tomcat

Hi ALL

Apache is a Standalone Web Server
Tomcat is a Standalone Application Server
In case of Tomcat its actually a Servlet/JSP Container
so programs written in JSP or Servlets can be hosted on it
Can I have a detailed explanation on this

My question is can I have Tomcat Application Server only to host my
JSP Servlets
application or do i need also Apache Web Server

Please also let me know whether Apache Web Server is written in C
Programming Language and Tomcat is written in JAVA and the mod_jk
connector is written in C Language

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Kaushal

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Franck Borel <bo...@ub.uni-freiburg.de>.
> On Mon, April 10, 2006 9:59 am, Franck Borel said:
>

>> The Apache Web Server and mod_jk are written in C++
>>

> Small detail, they are both written in C.

Small ;-))!

Another detail about mod_jk 1.2 web server connector for
Tomcat:  Only the web server connector source is included.  The Tomcat
side of the connector is available with the normal Tomcat distribution.

-- Franck

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Mon, April 10, 2006 9:59 am, Franck Borel said:

> The Apache Web Server and mod_jk are written in C++

Small detail, they are both written in C.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Franck Borel <bo...@ub.uni-freiburg.de>.
> Hi ALL
>
> Apache is a Standalone Web Server
> Tomcat is a Standalone Application Server

Tomcat is a Servlet-Container/JSP! If you need an application Server,
use JBoss or Geronimo instead.

Please look at: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/index.html
> My question is can I have Tomcat Application Server only to host my
> JSP Servlets
> application or do i need also Apache Web Server

You don' need the Apache Web Server. Tomcat supports HTML and SSL, so
that you can abstain from Apache Web Server.
> Please also let me know whether Apache Web Server is written in C
> Programming Language and Tomcat is written in JAVA and the mod_jk
> connector is written in C Language

The Apache Web Server and mod_jk are written in C++ and Tomcat is a pure
Java application.

-- Franck