Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by j4fm <ja...@my-managed.net> on 2019/06/24 12:25:48 UTC

Docker parent image

Hello

Currently the TomEE Docker images are labelled with JRE.  However, with
OpenJDK 11 there is no JRE anymore.  The openjdk:11-jre is not supported in
the official Docker repository (even though it exists, oddly).

So now our TomEE images for OpenJDK 11 are using openjdk:11.0-JDK but still
marked JRE.

We need to decide on a solution:

1. Relabel our 11+ images as JDK and keep the current parent
openjdk:11.0-jdk image - 604MB based on debian:stretch.
2. Switch to adoptopenjdk/openjdk11:latest (JDK) – 421MB and based on
ubuntu:18.04
3. Switch to adoptopenjdk/openjdk11:slim (JDK) – 346MB and based on
ubuntu:18.04
4. Switch to adoptopenjdk/openjdk11:jre – 224MB and based on ubuntu:18.04
5. Switch to adoptopenjdk/openjdk11:debian (JDK) – 458MB and based on
debian:stretch
6. Switch to adoptopenjdk/openjdk11:debian-slim (JDK) – 368MB and based on
debian:stretch
7. Switch to adoptopenjdk/openjdk11:debian-jre – 260MB and based on
debian:stretch
8. Release both JRE and JDK images based on adoptopenjdk Debian based
releases
9. Release both JRE and JDK images based on adoptopenjdk Ubuntu based
releases.

My preference would be to keep a Debian based image as in the past (for
backwards compatibility) and so either #7 (AdoptOpenJDK Debian JRE) or #9
(same but with JDK available too).

I'm happy to do a PR for our Dockerfiles as required but put this out for
discussion.

Thank you

--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Docker parent image

Posted by j4fm <ja...@my-managed.net>.
Sorry when I put 9, I meant 8.  (Updated my comment too)

--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Docker parent image

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for starting the discussion. #7 (or #9) would get my vote too.

Jon

Re: Docker parent image

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

My preference goes for anything based on adoptopenjdk/openjdk11*jre,
so either #4 or #7, with the additional preference for openj9 JVM
rather than HotSpot.

PS: i've been using TomEE+ 7.0.6 & 7.1.1 snapshots (and now released
versions) with AdoptOpenJDK11 with OpenJ9 for several months without
troubles. Reason for openj9 preference over hotspot is mainly for
legal reasons (openj9 sources licenses are way cleaner than hotspot
which agregates too much various licences, including copyleft ones - I
doubt that an Apache project can be happy with such licenses...)

Kind regards,
Alexandre