Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2016/06/14 17:49:27 UTC

3.15 beta 2 soon?

Hi All

We're now about 2 months since we released 3.15-beta1, and it looks like
we've got quite a few fixes and bits of new behaviour in, which is great!
Based on bugzilla emails, we've also got a few user-contributed patches
which are almost ready/fully-applied too.

So, two questions:
  - Can we have a volunteer to be Release Manager for 3.15 beta 2?
  - What bugs do people still need to fix / finish fixing (eg the ones
    we're working with contributors on right now) before we can release
    another beta?

Thanks
Nick

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.
Mark Murphy,

How far out is CellStyleUtil? Do you want to try to get that into POI 3.15
beta 2 or aim for a later release?

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
On 17.07.2016 23:03, Javen O'Neal wrote:
> Is there any need to push our artifacts to an Apache-hosted repo?

There are a few repos [1]
Usually the artifacts are first moved to the staging repo [2] and when the vote is over, the artifacts are copied to [3] and/or [4] when released via Nexus.
Although tika seems to be uptodate in repo.maven.apache.org, I guess we don't need to maintain it.

Andi

[1] https://repository.apache.org/#view-repositories
[2] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/poi
[3] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/poi/poi/
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/org/apache/poi/poi/

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.
We're pushing our release artifacts to
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.poi%22
It looks like the Apache maven site hasn't been used in a while
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/poi/

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.
Bugs that we might want to close before 3.15 beta 2:
Bug 59743: skip XML zip bomb check when writing SXSSFWorkbooks
Bug 59705: XSSFPivotTable.addColumnLabel adds a values section, not a
column section (reported by several users); still needs a unit test
Bug 59739: HWPF FileInformationBlock changes found as a result of
FindBugs and regression testing

Are there any other open bugs or issues that we should try to squeeze
into 3.15 beta 2?

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

I think my scripts may do a bit more with the POI classes, like
copying/drawing/writing/shifting/formating/evaluating, ... this covers more
of the functionality and thus shows more things that can break after
changes.

Unfortunately I did not manage to get it to run on the VM yet to see how my
stuff looks like with the different corpus that is available there, but
that is still on the plan!

Dominik.

RE: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Ok,

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

here my results from the regression-tests for 3.15-beta2, I see two newly
introduced issues that we should take a look at.

Overall, of the 1051003 files 837299 process fine, 112783 are in an invalid
format (e.g. extension docx, but actually a pdf, ...) and 100851 actually
cause processing errors, where many are likely just broken as initial
parsing already fails.

See http://people.apache.org/~centic/poi_regression/reports/ for the
regression-report compared to 3.14 and
http://people.apache.org/~centic/poi_regression/reportsAll/ for full list
of failing documents.

The two regressions are:

4768 times
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Invalid file format version number: *

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Invalid file format version number: *
	at o.a.p.hwpf.model.FileInformationBlock.assertCbRgFcLcb(FileInformationBlock.java:164)
	at o.a.p.hwpf.model.FileInformationBlock.(FileInformationBlock.java:140)
	at o.a.p.hwpf.HWPFDocumentCore.(HWPFDocumentCore.java:157)
	at o.a.p.hwpf.HWPFDocument.(HWPFDocument.java:218)
	at o.a.p.hwpf.HWPFDocument.(HWPFDocument.java:186)
	at o.a.p.hwpf.HWPFDocument.(HWPFDocument.java:174)
	at o.a.p.stress.HWPFFileHandler.handleFile(HWPFFileHandler.java:32)
	at o.a.p.BaseIntegrationTest.handleFile(BaseIntegrationTest.java:93)
	at o.a.p.BaseIntegrationTest.test(BaseIntegrationTest.java:42)
	at org.dstadler.commoncrawl.ProcessFiles$FileHandlingRunnable.run(ProcessFiles.java:220)

Download

28 times
java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at o.a.p.xslf.usermodel.XSLFTableCell.getFillPaint(XSLFTableCell.java:427)
	at o.a.p.xslf.usermodel.XSLFSimpleShape$9.getPaint(XSLFSimpleShape.java:869)
	at o.a.p.sl.draw.DrawTableShape.draw(DrawTableShape.java:83)

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

RE: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.

RE: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 14.06.2016 20:31, Javen O'Neal wrote:
> If I am, I will happily be release manager.
This is good to hear/read - I'm happy to help you with the releasing as the scripts probably
still need some tuning, i.e. only the optimistic path (hopefully) works, but as soon as something needs
to be repeated, you still need need to a few manual tweaks ...

>  - What bugs do people still need to fix / finish fixing (eg the ones
>    we're working with contributors on right now) before we can release
>    another beta?
I work on #59702 ... should be finished in the next few days.
Apart of that I'm trying to fix the myriad of javadocs errors/warnings in the JDK8 build,
but this is on-going and can be easily paused while the releasing takes place.

Andi

Re: 3.15 beta 2 soon?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <ja...@gmail.com>.