Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by beneo_7 <be...@163.com> on 2010/12/28 07:45:17 UTC

where i can set -Dmapred.map.tasks=X

i read onMahout in Action that I should set -Dmapred.map.tasks=X
but it did not work for hadoop

Re: where i can set -Dmapred.map.tasks=X

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
You set this when launching the jobs with the "hadoop" command. It
should come first among the arguments.
While it's not guaranteed to control the number of tasks it is a
strong hint: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowManyMapsAndReduces
If it's not working you may see whether something is overriding your setting.
This is a question more about Hadoop, not Mahout.

Posted by Shige Takeda <st...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Jeff, I can help on this task if you don't mind.
One complexity I found was the case where one driver kicks off both MR
and/or Sequential jobs. Although sequential one may not really need conf
but passes conf to new FileSystem(uri, conf) to get a FileSystem but
getConf() returns null resulting in NullPointerException.
Thanks,
-- Shige

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Ok thanks that's the way then

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
yes it does.  ok will do tomorrow. Thank you, Jeff.
-Dmitriy

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Sean,

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.

Posted by Shige Takeda <st...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Resolved in mahout-574.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
It works for me with this command line:

./bin/mahout kmeans -Dmapred.reduce.tasks=10 -Dmapred.map.tasks=10
-Dfs.default.name=file:/// -Dmapred.job.tracker=local -i foo -c bar -o
baz -x 10

but not yours either:

./bin/mahout seqdirectory -Dmapred.job.tracker=local
-Dfs.default.name=file:/// -c UTF-8 -i
/home/dmitriy/projects/testcollections/reuters-extracted/ -o
/home/dmitriy/projects/testcollections/reuters-seqfiles

This seems to be a different problem.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Ah!.

It is nice having custom code to fix this unique -D problem: someone
won't change it back to HashMap and break it.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: where i can set -Dmapred.map.tasks=X

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.