Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jason M. Kuhlman" <jk...@oglecounty.org> on 2003/10/16 17:27:56 UTC

[users@httpd] CGI problems

At our local ISP the sys admin likes to set up what he call 3rd level domain
names for sites like www.customer1.company.net and www.customer2.company.net
instead of what I would consider the more traditional
www.company.net/customer1 and www.company.net/customer2.  There are some
problems running cgi scripts.  Apparently in Mandrake 8.2 suexec is reeking
havoc on our scripting.  I would guess the suexec would change the
read/write/execute privileges on the web folders.  My questions are... Is
there some sort of standard/white papers out there for setting up and
configuring Apache for ISP use for all of the virtual hosts and many many
users that will want their own websites?  Also would it be better to
'compartmentalize' the cgi scripting to each hosted website instead of at
the root level?

Re: [users@httpd] CGI problems

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh.  Sounds like a little rambling that I
can't quite seem to connect with your questions below.  :-)  But choosing
one format or another would affect how you go about the details of
configuring, naturally.  I don't know if one is instrinsically better than
the other.  Personally I'd go with you, as the 3rd level domain model
involves DNS changes, which is just extra admin work, and having been the
admin, that's not a desireable thing.  :-)

> My questions are... Is
> there some sort of standard/white papers out there for setting up and
> configuring Apache for ISP use for all of the virtual hosts and many many
> users that will want their own websites?  Also would it be better to
> 'compartmentalize' the cgi scripting to each hosted website instead of at
> the root level?

I really don't know, I'm not yet too well read on the subject, myself.
Probably best to invest in a good Apache book which systematically covers
topics like this.  I learn by experience.  In my experience, I've played
with suEXEC and cgiwrap, and I've seen people on this list talk about chroot
jail techniques.  There's many different security models, and some may fit
better than others.

Leif