Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Raymond Ingles <ri...@vmware.com> on 2021/03/13 00:29:08 UTC

[Proposal] Backport GEODE-9029 - Initial support for Redis SLOWLOG command

Hello –

 Putting forward the proposal to backport GEODE-9029 (Redis SLOWLOG command support) to support/1.14 branch,

What does GEODE-9029 do?

          *   It adds unit/integration/dunit tests for the Redis SLOWLOG command
          *   It moves the SLOWLOG command to the ‘Supported’ category

These changes are low-risk as they are limited entirely to the Geode’s Redis-compatibility subsystem and do not impact any other Geode code.

The version of SLOWLOG is essentially a stub, because (a) Geode does not track such data the way Redis does, but (b) if the command is not supported, some monitoring tools (like certain versions of the DataDog agent) can experience internal errors that prevent monitoring of other, fully-supported statistics.

        Why do we need to backport these changes?

          *   These changes will allow automated tools that monitor Redis health (e.g. DataDog) to also monitor the health of the Geode compatibility-with-Redis subsystem.
          *   If we don't backport these changes to 1.14.0 then use of Redis compatibility will be impaired or unacceptable for several users

        Reference PR: https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/6131

                Thanks,
                Ray Ingles

Re: [Proposal] Backport GEODE-9029 - Initial support for Redis SLOWLOG command

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Sounds good, I have added this to the 1.14 blocker board

    +1

            Reference PR: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F6131&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7C24619f71c80d4d51d96c08d8e5e9baa8%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C1%7C0%7C637512139313586119%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=97K5%2Bw2U%2B8BA3cpF4wDFZSIwI97HF5%2FE8llS6kgCKhY%3D&amp;reserved=0

Posted by Darrel Schneider <da...@vmware.com>.
+1
[...]

        Reference PR: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F6131&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cdarrel%40vmware.com%7Cabc49d94111a4905f31308d8e5cbf118%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C1%7C0%7C637512011374535216%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=mVb69kveoXsK8Cz9rewmJX%2BtVHirekGc0C1nih3S6F0%3D&amp;reserved=0

                Thanks,
                Ray Ingles