Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at> on 2010/12/12 18:48:15 UTC

Differences between Maven 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what the differences between 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0
are? I am currently running on 2.0.9 and 2.0.10 (depending on the
project) and I was wondering if I should start migrating.

Currently I am not allowed to upgrade to 3.0 (a 2.x version is still
mandatory), but maybe I could at least make a suggestion to switch to
3.0 -- depending on how big the migration would turn out to be.

Thanks.

--
Roland Asmann
Senior Software Engineer

adesso Austria GmbH
Floridotower 26. Stock              T +43 1 2198790-27
Floridsdorfer Hauptstr. 1           F +43 1 2198790-927
A-1210 Wien                         M +43 664 88657566
                                    E roland.asmann@adesso.at
                                    W www.adesso.at

Re: Differences between Maven 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Well, most of it no (as it is a free-style job). The publication you can
control what phase you execute ("mvn deploy").
There is work for Maven 3 integration in Hudson going on though.

However, this Hudson discussion is more suitable on the Hudson list.

/Anders

Posted by Paul Merlin <es...@n0pe.org>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Zac Thompson <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roland,

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Asmann, Roland
<Ro...@adesso.at> wrote:

> Could someone tell me what the differences between 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0
> are? I am currently running on 2.0.9 and 2.0.10 (depending on the
> project) and I was wondering if I should start migrating.

Any attempt to describe the differences is going to be a failure. You
should read the comprehensive changelog found here:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Achangelog-panel

You should definitely start migrating. It's only a matter of time
before the plugins stop being Maven 2.0.x compatible, and I'm already
seeing lots of requirements for 2.2.x and even 3.0.x!!

> Currently I am not allowed to upgrade to 3.0 (a 2.x version is still
> mandatory), but maybe I could at least make a suggestion to switch to
> 3.0 -- depending on how big the migration would turn out to be.

Maven 3 is exceptionally well tested for backwards compatibility, I
consider it a mistake to spend resources and time updating from 2.0.x
to 2.2.x when it's already been displaced by 3.0.x.

-Jesse

Re: Differences between Maven 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hudson?