Posted to user@commons.apache.org by ss...@worldbank.org on 2006/01/16 05:55:29 UTC

Does the Commons FTP support these, please?

Hi,

I would like to know if Commons FileUpload let

a) the user to do file (files) upload and download (> 50 mb file size) through
SFTP, even after a disconnection/pause?
b) the user achieve file upload through an applet which takes in params. like
username, hostname etc. dynamically?  Does it provide an applet interface?
c) the user know inturn if something goes wrong during file(s) upload/download?
d) the user achieve creating, deleting remote files?

Thanks and Regards
S Srikkanth

Re: Does the Commons FTP support these, please?

Posted by benjamin haimerl <b-...@gmx.de>.
> b) the user achieve file upload through an applet which takes in params.
> like
> username, hostname etc. dynamically?

You have to implemenet your own user management to differ users by archive,
But its easy, you can get enough information about the users, when they are
uploading files.

I usually add new users to my tomcat-users-xml to allow uploading  files.
Then my user archive depends on the username.
But its easy to manage the access controling about a sql db or something
like that,
its your job to think about it ;)

> Does it provide an applet interface?

Yes absolutely, you can use httpclient on appletside to control the upload
process, take a look the
commons httpclient user guide to get more informations about it.

> c) the user know inturn if something goes wrong during file(s)
> upload/download?
Why  download ? i though you are talking about file upload ;)
Of course, you can use...

uploadStatus = client.executeMethod(filePost);
if (uploadStatus == HttpStatus.SC_OK) {....}

...to check if the transfer was successful or not,
on applet side you can display an information_message to tell your user
about the transfer process.

> d) the user achieve creating, deleting remote files?
You have to implement that by your own, but of course its possoble.

As far as i know, FileUpload is just an implementation of the idea behinf
rfc 1867,
its another submit type (FILE) which allows to send data by POST Method.

So far...
Ben